Progress update

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Well the car is now off the road & taking up residents in the workshop. The turbo is fitted. Its now into the final mock up stage, just finalising locations for everthing. Will start making the intercooler brackets tuesday or wednesday. Then its off to have the cooler pipes made.

Battery is under the passenger seat. Just need to finishes wiring. I will take the camera to work tommoro & gets pics (as long as the camera decides to work). Looks good, it nice to finally see it all coming together.

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
great job snoopy!

can't wait to see the pics.

Attachments

• 19959.jpg
    19959.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 29

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Well things didn't quite go to plan today. Due to manifold design, the top mount is now a front mount & a small section has been removed from around the drivers h/light inner mounts. I took some picks of a rough mock up in the morning, it still has the intercooler on top, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• 20000.jpg
    20000.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 41

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Ok one more, showing the lack of design fore thought (I saw the manifold when it was too late to change it). So here is my problem.

Attachments

• 20003.jpg
    20003.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 28

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
yer the little problem are getting the brain working (& the air hacksaw).

I'm doing the conversion myself from parts bought 2nd hand (except the manifold & dump). Most part were bought cheap from various forums, from various user that were updating or decided to go a different way & no longer wanted there parts (including some new unused stuff). All up the conversion will cost me around $3k on the road. That also includes relocating the battery, the billet bottle, which were free from a friend :), custom bonded qfm pads (front) & a couple of guages.
Im aiming for around 90kw at the wheels on 8psi. Couldn't tell you what it would cost to pay someone to do this maybe around 5-6k. But if you want my advice, if you want a turbo micra, just buy aarons & save yourself alot of money.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Just a quick little update. The top mount intercooler has been ditch in favour of a pwr front mount (couldn't help myself). Spent a couple of hours after work today fabricating the lower mounts. Just need to get some rubber insulators for the lower mounts (its going to be mounted like the radiator), then I will make the top mounts (hopefully monday night). Also got some nice pwr silicon hose bends & reducers, damn they look nice.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
Hey looking pretty cool..

you considered putting a flange between your exhaust and dump pipe? that'd be a biatch to get off if you needed to do something later on..this is just going from my experience.. my dump pipe cracked from the rocking of engine/etc. even with a flexpipe underneath, ended up bracing the dump pipe to the engine bay to take the strain off...

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
There is a flange just behind the front sway bar. I had it fitted when I had the exhaust done. The dump bolts on the same place the old extractors use to, so if I need to, I can just take the turbo off & bolt the extractors back on.

Im still haven't got around to making a brace for the manifold. Haven't thought about bracing the dump pipe, might have to look into that if it cracks, let hope it doen't (prays).

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
The sandwich plate is great, Im taking the oil feed for the turbo & a mechanical oil psi gauge from it.

While I would love to leave the intercooler for all to see (looks so damn good in real life), I will be meshing over it. I would hate to have a rock damage it. Its getting so close to firing up, I cant wait :)

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
yeah oil pressure will be good, how come you didnt use the little oil feed at the front for the turbo though? its covered up with a little grub and its almost like its put there for turbo micras heh

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
aaron WROTE:

"yeah oil pressure will be good, how come you didnt use the little oil feed at the front for the turbo though? its covered up with a little grub and its almost like its put there for turbo micras heh

The plug was damaged by someone before I bought the car. In order to remove it, I will have to drill it out (And since its an oil gallery I would prefer the head off so no metal gets into the oil galleries).

CMF_benben

» CMF Member
hey nice micra snoopy, what kind of boost are you going to be running when you get it set up? and have you changed any internals such as pistons or head gasket?

love the front mounted intercooler mate. keep it up.

benben

p.s. what kind of bhp are you expecting?

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Thanks for the kind comments guys.

Benben the actuator is set to 8psi at the moment. Thats all I can run with my current fuel setup (5th injector & haltech). The engine is internally stock (still running original head gasket), its done about 180k's. Expecting around mid 80kw's at the wheels.

Will see how it goes with this setup, if the craving for more power sets in, then I will drop the compression, fit aftermaket management & wind the boost back to 14 psi (It was oringally running this in a gti & making 140kw at the wheels), however this would proberly make the engine & g/box a handgrenade. A very fun handgrenade. But a handgrenade none the less.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Looking good for sure. Yes around 7/8 psi on that set up you should be okay.Anything above this you will be living on the edge.Yes mid high 80s you should achieve.I would recommend you get it on a dyno as soon as so they can make sure air fuel ratio is okay across the range.Get some insulation wrap around the air intake post intercooler to throttle body. Will help to keep it cool and not pick up any engine heat.Paint it first in high temp paint then wrap.Every little bit helps.
Give you 6 months and then the urge to go the next step will be very powerful.The dark side has that affect.
Overall its a nice set up.Well done.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
If you are looking for a great range of automotive paints for all applications go to www.ppc.au.com These paints are brushable and after applying brush marks just disappear and you would swear it was applied by spray can.Have the engine enamel all over Whitey and very impressed.Tough as.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
All intake piping is getting hpc coated & wrapped. This goes for the manifold & dump pipe aswell. It will be sent away next week. I know what you mean about more power, I haven't even hit the key & Im already thinking about upgrading to full engine management & larger injectors (thanks to alittle inspiration from evade). Must stay focused & finish the job at hand.

Not much left now, just finish the wiring (including guages), tidy up a few things, reinstall the pipe work, then head to the dyno. I can see the home stretch & it feels good. Even if it has taken longer than it was supposed to, but I know it will be worth the wait.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Just a little updated. The car fired to life briefly tonight (still waiting on the water hose t-pieces so I can feed water to the turbo). Sounds great.

Oil pressure is very high (80psi on start up, then pass 100psi at 2k. Have to see what it reads when its warm. Might be a bit of crap stuck in the pressure relief valve, will check it out tommoro or sat, when I pick up the t-pieces.

Hopefully will get a drive on saturday, will do a little tuning with the a/f guage. Not as accurate as a dyno, but will make it safe enough to drive to the dyno for tuning. I can also check to make sure everthing is working. Not to much left now. Just need to get it approved (thats going to be fun, not!)

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Just got back from my first drive. I think Im going to need stickier tyres, as it lights the tyre in 3rd :) (Going to need that lsd). It feels a little laggy, but Im not going to give it full throttle until its tuned, so it hard to tell.

Just waiting for it to cool down so I can make a heat shield for the turbo so it doesn't melt the grill. Then I will put it all back together & take some pics.

If you read this yom, call me so I can organise to get that dash from you, then I can finish off the interior.

The dark side has taken hold of another.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
so its finally finished :)

good work mate, sure it'll be a heap of fun to drive..

believe me you'll never get tired of surprising other drivers. so much fun.

as for injectors and management

evade may be getting stripped down soon and bits and piece sold.. maybe some parts will live on in another micra..hehe

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
aaron WROTE:

"so its finally finished :)<BR><BR>good work mate, sure it'll be a heap of fun to drive..<BR><BR>believe me you'll never get tired of surprising other drivers. so much fun.<BR><BR>as for injectors and management<BR><BR>evade may be getting stripped down soon and bits and piece sold.. maybe some parts will live on in another micra..hehe

Let me know if/when you want to sell, I would be very interested

Back