primera gt

A

ash 80

anybody know if it would be possible to put a primera gt engine in a k11 super s?

It can be done, I did it but I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying it. Heck of a way to waste £6000.
:down:

RE: RE: primera gt

IanLorenc said:
It can be done, I did it but I wouldn't recommend anyone else trying it. Heck of a way to waste £6000.
:down:

£6000 wot did u spend that on??? if you do it yurself surely it only costs the price of engine and maybe custom driveshafts,,,,

SplanK said:
better of throwing a GA16DE engine in there... lighter and stull tunable and quick in a light chassis

the ga16 is heavier. cos it has a cast block to it were as the sr20 has an alloy block thus weighing in less..

but what the hell did you spend 6k on.

primera gt engine loom and ecu etc = £200
driveshafts customised from 2 long shaft ends knocked onto the origianl k11 shafts. = £20 due to having to purchase 2 longshafts to dismantle them
customising gearlinkage arm(dogleg) = £10 if you have to get another to be able to work from (not neccesary)
mounts etc. can be easily made up yourself.

i work out the full engine conversion completely could be done for £800
thats with new exhaust etc made up for it.
with all including new oil and leads etc.
nowere near 6k at all o_O

Lol, I guess most of you don't remember the story of Ian's troubles. He didn't do the conversion himself and had more problems than enough with the guys who did it.

Costs spiralled to that figure due to unforseen problems and the people who were fitting it, ending in a messy, protracted affair

but 6k

bloody hell what could have gone wrong that it was that bad ??

did they brake summit or do summit they shouldnt
then makle him pay for it to be repaired?

as thats the only way i can see that amount costiung
but then if they did the mistake then they should fix it not him

guys please keep this on topic as im very sure that Ian doesn't want to bring up the past.

mike

Yes, but no more than he hould want to be called a fool, which he isn't, maybe some pruning need be done to the thread?

yes it wasnt his fault. a garage has high labour costs for every day spent on the car. could be several hundred a day maybe more?. the problems were discoverd bit by bit while it was with garage and while the paid for labour days ticked by. etc...

Sorry, forgot to mention that the £6k includes £3.5k that was left owing on the finance of the car, when it's effective value was reduced to zero (well, £350 might as well be zero). I paid £500 for a whole donor car and the rest was charged by the tw*t that did the work. I wouldn't have paid, had I not received a late night visit from several huge blokes and a promise that if I didn't pay, I'd end up on a landfill somewhere, not breathing. Trust me, it's very surreal when that's happening to you.

If you're still committed to going ahead with this conversion, then I wish you the best of luck. It would be great if someone could pull this off and make it work. All I'm saying is (like most things in life) it's not as easy as you would think.

Some things to watch out for:
1. You will need custom driveshafts (not cheap unless you know someone) and custom engine mounts (ditto).
2. Electrical problems when wiring back up. Mine had no end. Best to get someone who knows electrics to handle this.
3. Check clearance on full lock.
4. Check that the engine does not rest anywhere it shouldn't on the b/work. This will cause terrifying vibrations (ask Kev about the first time he drove it).
5. Get the suspension properly set up. That extra weight REALLY pulls the nose into corners and makes for diabolical understeer.

I hope you can make it work because it'll be tremendous. Mine had a misfire that we couldn't cure but it still straightline annihilated a Cougar V6. He didn't think it was too groovy.
:laugh::p

that explains it then..

i know of a place that does custom driveshafts £100 a pair any size,make,model,year,,,its called WATSONS cnt remember wer exactly think its wakefield ,but if anyone wants to know ill get fone number e-mail etc,,no probs

and engine mounts are no problem to any one with a welder and common sense:p

im gettin the pros take over for my electrical werk,,so my micra dont end up like the golf in the general chat forum ,,lol:)

IanLorenc said:
Some things to watch out for:
1. You will need custom driveshafts (not cheap unless you know someone) and custom engine mounts (ditto).
2. Electrical problems when wiring back up. Mine had no end. Best to get someone who knows electrics to handle this.
3. Check clearance on full lock.
4. Check that the engine does not rest anywhere it shouldn't on the b/work. This will cause terrifying vibrations (ask Kev about the first time he drove it).
5. Get the suspension properly set up. That extra weight REALLY pulls the nose into corners and makes for diabolical understeer.

I hope you can make it work because it'll be tremendous. Mine had a misfire that we couldn't cure but it still straightline annihilated a Cougar V6. He didn't think it was too groovy.
:laugh::p

1: drive shafts are relatively easy.

take 2 long shaft ends with the 3 ball jointed cv box ends and knock these onto the standard k11 shafts. you cant use the short shaft due o the caged rotation end it has so u must use 2 long shaft box ends.

2: can be a pain but if you sit down with both harness; aand wiring diagrams can be accomplished easily enough, juist time consuming but the stuff you can do at home so no worries

3: ie the pulleys on the chassis leg! again this can be accomplished with ne one with a welder. by inverting the chassis leg to still give the structural support but the space to be able to do the conversion

4: ie the powersteering pulley etc as this ay cause vibrations as said. but who needs power steering when u want to feel the road ;) but can be flipped witha brackert and added witha carrage under the alternator with enough room to spare, custom belts ne motorfactors can arange.

5: can be a problem. however never had issues with the ga16 and its a heavier block. though this was also not road tested greatly. so may cause issues unforseen. though with adjustable dampers etc can easily sort the issues. and a nice whiteline kit would kerb this issue. and if your wanting power the best thing to compliment it would be bigger brakes and suspension set up. if you dont look at this then no point in having the big engine.
whole point being is so that you can brake as late as possible etc into those big bends and be eble to grip the roads and keep that high power on.

looks like IAn has been the first or one of to test this. and unfortunatly what seems to be left it in the hands of sumone that was incoompitant and didnt care much about the actual car and its gains.

not a good combination if the person doing the conversion isnt interested in it. thats why it is best to shop around. and even if the person most exited about is a little more expensive than sumone else
thats the person i would go to ,. cos they will do ne thing to see it on the road as much as you. thus getting better workmanship out of them

Back