Non-Power steering rack vs PS

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I believe a number of people have been fitting power steering to their K11s.
I'd like to take a non-power steer rack of somebody's hands.
Who's got one they'd like to part with?
I'll be visiting Melbourne & Perth a couple of times this year, maybe Sydney. I figure it'd make good check in luggage.

cisco

» CMF Member
Sorry mate, I sent the white super s's to my mate in Japan.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
haha tom, yes i would like a power steer rack. Sorry. but i neither have any money nor a 100% perfect man steer rack to sell. Mine has minor internal damage from its previous owners, ie makes clunk noise on one side when hot.

good luck aj,

Alex

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
its not the tierod end if thats what you mean, its further in, its hard to make the noise. The steering wheel needs a few whips side to side > but yeah you can't feel anything with the tie-rod end unbolted from the hub, its all nice and tight no movement, kinda odd.

maybe nicely ask bosito or aaron if they could please pass on some wreckers they are familier with in melbourne, its should be easy to get a man steer rack, power steer ones are hard to come by at a reasonable price. On that note, shouldn't you lads have plenty over in NZ?

i had a look on this site awhile back, was a few wrecks about then >http://www.motorpartsdata.co.nz/

Alex

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Yes there's plenty of wrecks here but all our micras have been imported as second hand cars from Japan, meaning they all have power steer. I don't really like the feel of the power steer. I've been driving a non power steer starlet for the last 6 months.
What sort of money is a Melbourne wrecker going to want for a rack?
Has Australia got any of those remove the part yourself style wreckers?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
arent the steering columns for the power steer and non power steer slightly different as well?

AFAIK there's a definate difference between the jap steering column and the UK/AU steering column as gtrholic has found.

Attachments

• 12282.gif
    12282.gif
    79 KB · Views: 34

cisco

» CMF Member
Nah there's zero practical difference between Jap and UK steering columns.

Both can be interchangeable and fit both racks.

I have had both racks out of the car and also both columns and we found that both columns fit perfectly. You only need to change the rack and install the power steering gear.

This was with UK/AUS factory non-power steer and Japanese power steering rack, kit and column.

CMF_micrat

» CMF Member
hi i am in perth, i have a couple of non power steering racks that i would be happy to sell. I would also be very interested (if you are) on doing a swap with cash difference (to you of course) for a power steering set-up.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
OK, I should easily have 20kg of luggage allowance when I travel through Perth as almost invariably I manage to carry on only. I've got work in the Pilbura (Port Headland, Nelson Point, Boodarie). I'll have two trips, one around April, and again aroud June.
If I can get a manual rack on the first trip, I should be able to return the power steer rack on the second.
I guess the power steer rack, hoses, resovior, pump, brackets aren't too heavy???
Thinking about that, I guess the non power steer models have some sort of idler pully in place of the power steer pump?

Back