Power Problem

Started the car today and noticed that the heater fan was a bit slow.. the dashboard lights were dim and then wipers were slow as well... just a general loss of power all round. There were no warning lights on... I figured the alternator light would come on if I was not getting juice?? Any ideas guys?

Thanks

I would say it's either an alternator problem, although the battery light should come on. Or a bad earth. Failing that it could be that the battery is very weak and the cold weather has made it worse and it's not taking a charge.

Hmm the battery is just over a year old. But I dooo seem to remember swapping the alternator warning lamp with the blown oil warning lamp... i figured the oil was more critical and I was short of lamps. haha I better check it. Thanks

With the benefit of daylight I saw the problem this morning...
the two upper alternator support bolts have er gone???
Very mysterious. So the thing was hanging on the locking nut and had lost a lot of tension haha. Still turning a little but mainly slipping... perhaps this is why the alternator warning light didn't come on (the lamp is OK).

My car seems to be developing "bolt-itis". My gear lever recently started moving in ever bigger radii... sufficient to dislodge the rubber surround, and I was worried my box was getting a problem. Looking underneath I saw that one of the two bolts that hold the mechanism up to the hole in the driving compartment has come adrift.. I think the mounting may have rusted off as the nut head is still visible. Gah!!

As for the alternator.. I luckily had a four inch length of threaded bar and this was enough to act as a pivot and support - for now... it got me to work. I will get some new support bolts from the scrappies.
Thanks

P

Back