Engine Idle / power problem ? ? ?

J

JacksonK10

Hi,

Travelling down the motorway today and going up a slight hill I could feel the car losing speed and power quite quickly. Pulled into the services and the car is idling very 'lumpy', and when you depress the throttle the revs climb quite slowly until they get quite high where they seem to be alright. Also, when they are low and trying to climb they seem to make a 'put-put-put' noise (sorry best way I can think to describe it), the engine seems stuttery and it seems to be smelling more of fuel than before, and producing more smoke from the exhaust.

The car still drives, it just seems to lack power in the lower rev range and overall performance in general.

I have recently (less than 1000 miles ago) changed spark plugs and leads, distributor cap, air filter, points and consensor and the oil and filter was changed at the last M.O.T. Up until today the car was running very well, and it has only done 62000 miles.

Any ideas as to what it could be? My only thoughts are either broken fuel pump, over fuelling to the carb or some problem with the automatic choke.

Any help would be very gratefully recieved!

Time for a compression check, if it sounds like an imprezza your rings are shot if it sounds sort of hollow through the exhaust it's probably a damaged valve.

if it sounds like an imprezza your rings are shot

Explains the sound pretty well . . . anythin else it could be?

And how big/expensive a job is that to repair??

definately do a compression test. It will be obvious which cyl it is if you look at the sparkplugs.

From your description I'd say it's probably the rings or ring lands. but like Ed said just pull the plugs and see if any of them are oiled up or black.
Unless your car is very clean it would probably be cheaper and easier to pick up a new k10 or just change the engine.

Back