Possible off topic section?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Hi,

Was with matty this arvo and after we were sick of gawking at cars (well, door closing actually - yes i kid you not i went around and compared the door signs of all the cars in the nissan dealership :p) and test driving the suzi swift we discussed the forums.

eM brought the idea up some time ago apparently, but the idea is that the forums should have an offtopic section. A place for jokes, comments, etc. A general place for micra-ites from other states and different areas to get to know each other. A place for me to discuss funny magnas i run into...

Now i know that there are problems with it, and that at other forums arugements can break out, etc etc. but personally i dont think this forum would suffer from that - because it is my personal opinion that because we are a relatively small group and the micra isnt exactly a magnet for 13yr old kids who are bored on holidays.

Anyway, yeh thats just some brain farts I've been having lately.

Please excuse any speeling, grammar and punctuation errors. :p

Cheers,
Tom

CMF_micragirl

» CMF Member
Why are car manufacturers STILL putting drum brakes on the rear? Surely the cost would be minimal to have discs all round?And yeh, you're right, the GTi might be worth waiting for, it's a well known fact that it's not good to buy the first edition of a new model, they usually use the first one to iron out all the bugs, which in this case, sounds like there may be a few.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
OKay lets change our site to Micra/Swift for all those in the closet who want to be "outed".
Sheeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Even thinking of getting a Micra tatoo done. Time to go hard core as by the sounds of it in a couple of years only be a few of us left.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Curse this lack of post editing...

micras fetch absolutely nothing when traded in so it seems logical to keep it for personal reasons. Once you've owned a micra I dont think you can get it out of your blood.

CMF_Homeister

» CMF Member
Ditto those thoughts, Micragirl---unless they bring out the K12 to Oz, a 3dr Swift could convince me to replace my Micra. Sacrilege perhaps, but very tempting. The upcoming Motor Show season may see Suzuki show off the new GTi...

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Well guys put it this way.

Cisco has to pay for this site out of his own pocket, and sure the sponsors might help too, but essentially this is his money we are using everytime we type a letter.

I think there should be an option for members to donate money to the site to further expand its awareness and options, and perhaps only the donating members can have the option of a general off topic section. This way we only get dedicated fans getting talking about everyday stuff without some idiots trying to ruin it.

Thats just my 2c, but I'd love to see it come into place, as I would donate in a heartbeat for all the information and not to mention friendship I've gained because of this site.

Seano

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
You'll see....

Well we get so much out of the site without putting anything back in. There at least should be an option of donating, and the donating members get more options/rewards for doing so.

Sean

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Dontate and you get more options on this site?!?!

How could CMF possibly offer more? We already got a pretty strong community with fairly regular meets, healthy and creative performance/maintance knowledge base, pleanty of "good guys" and "site partners" esp with errols ever growing collection of hotups.

The only thing I could think that could ever possibly improve the CMF experience for "paying" members or "associates" would be the possibility of a personalised email address or sub domain redirection.

I wouldn't think it would take up too much bandwith from the site, but fancy the possibility of emailing [email protected] and have the email message forward onto my hotmail account. Or entering daily_ricer.micra.com.au into the address bar and being redirected to my personal webpage.

I wouldn't imagine this ever taking up much space on the CMF webhost, as all it would do is act as a gateway to already existing services...

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
daily ricer, i think having our own personal webpage on the site might be asking as wee bit too much? :p

I'm happy to donate $20 to the forums yearly. I don't care if I dont get anything extra from it - because there's already so much on offer!

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
I like your sentiments Seano "give big hug"
Cisco has put a lot of time effort and MONEY into this site and if a yearly fee was an option for members and this gave them some added benefits without taking anything away from the current format who could complain??
Anyway even if there was no added benefits and there was an option to say contribute to running the site I am sure a lot of us would.
Man look at the site now and all the info which grows day by day plus the constant upgrades.
Meet some really nice people along the way too!" extra big hug"

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Bahaha!!

Well I see there is a huge demand for a general off topic section, but I can also see that cisco doesn't want the site to turn into, say nissansilvia where there are 3 losers for every 1 decent person. Thats what made me think that paying/donating members should perhaps get an extra "members" menu much like the moderators do containing a general off topic section and maybe some other little things...

That way, we only get decent posts (most of the time eh Matty?) in the general off topic section and most of all it is not interfering with the technical aspect of the site. At the moment as there is no place to post jokes etc... the technical threads have jokes etc... dispersed throughout leading the thread off topic.

I also think that the search button should be made more prominent on the front page as this would help new users to find it.

Perhaps even as a little gesture the members who have donated could get a little symbol etc.. before/after/underneath their name so that other members can see who's donated, who's really into it and ask a question and also get a decent and perhaps detailed response.

Not only will the money generated go towards helping the site directly, but we could create more awareness etc... but also the Micra in itself as an enthusiasts car. Also we could use this money somehow to make importing of the japanese performance parts an affordable prospect.

These are just a few idea's I've had lately, but already the site has progressed so far since I have joined.

Cisco, cheers mate!!

Sean

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
The traitor is on a role!

Don't get too big headed about it though. You don't want to end up driving a Pulsar. *shivers* :p

I dont think there is any worry about jockstraps making trouble like they do on nissan silvia... Like i mentioned a few posts ago, the micra isnt a massive target for those sort of people. I mean we all like the odd arguement - heck its a forum and people have differing opinions so it happens!

I do admit I would be guilty of making a few silly posts. But they would be minimal.

I've got lots of magna stories to tell though. :) Ask matty - the troublesome magnas just seem to follow me where ever I go. :p

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Part of my troubles is that I am of a joking nature. i like to joke about alot of things. The trouble i have sometimes is due to poor grammar and people mis-reading what I have posted. 99% of the time I am not intending to make a big deal out of something...

CMF_daily_ricer

» CMF Member
Hehe.

I dont think really made my point all that well. What I was trying to say was that I think it'd be hard to think of anything that would really personalise the CMF experience for any donating members with out a big change and effort. It'd be a bit much to ask Cisco and the site moderators to improve anything in a big way about such a great site. Although I do like the thought of micra.com.au/daily_ricer, or something similar, refering me to my hompage with fortunecity.com

I like mighty's idea of just a simple icon or logo to indicate those who have contributed. Just wouldn't want this identification to end up being something people might brag about to those who may not be able to spare that extra change. Not that I can see that happening with any of our current members.

I guess that chat about anything general should be reserved for places like msn mesenger or yahoo mesenger.

Back