Micra - written off - sad :(

Hi all,

I’ve always liked the K11 series of Micra’s. I owned a black 1.3 GX a couple of years ago & only sold it because it was getting a little rusty. I’d lightly modified it with wider 100NX alloys, a set of lowering springs & a strut brace – all of which transformed the ride & handling.

After the bad winter we had last year my wife decided that she’d like something more practical, & better in 3 feet of snow, than a Mercedes 280 SLK! So I started looking for another K11 & found a low mileage (29,000 miles from new) Y reg 1.4 on Ebay. I went to have a look & it was in very good condition & drove very well so I duly bought it. The Merc was more or less mothballed but kept taxed. MOT’d etc as we did still intend to use it on high days & holidays. I’d bought an Astra sri 2.2 that I was happy with so all was well with the world …….. or so I thought!

Last Monday, coming home from work, the exhaust on the Astra made a bid for freedom & parted company with the rest of the car :( I bodged it up & gingerly, & noisily, managed the 10 miles home. I laid it up on the driveway thinking that I could use the Micra, wifey could use the SLK & I could start pricing up exhausts for the Astra. I bought an stainless steel exhaust for it that night off the Z22SE forum.

On the way home from work the very next day, whilst driving the Micra, someone rear-ended me while I was waiting at a roundabout. There didn’t initially appear to be much damage – knackered rear bumper & a slightly damaged rear hatch – so we exchanged details & I drove off home. I didn’t go above 40mph but the car seemed to drive fine apart from the steering wheel being slightly out of whack in the straight ahead position. I looked more closely when I got home & the spare wheel well/boot floor had been damaged in the impact to the extent that the spare was jammed in & couldn’t be removed. I rang the insurance company & was told that the car would probably be a total loss due to its age rather the damage caused in the accident. The car would be picked up by a salvage company & taken away to be inspected by an engineer. I was told not to drive the Micra in the meantime so my wife & I car shared the next day – fortunately the Astra exhaust was delivered to work so I booked the following day off to fit it & to be in when the Micra was picked up. The car was confirmed as a total loss yesterday.

I have to say that the insurance company (Admiral) have been excellent throughout but the company they put me in touch with about getting a courtesy car (Albany Assistance) have been absolutely ruddy useless. The accident happened early last week & they’ve only just been in touch with the offer of a courtesy car – it’s a good job that my wife & I had other cars we could use.

It’s a sad end to what was a great little car :(

Micra.jpg

how much did they give you for the car? i would have thought you could have got good money for it, a damaged boot well is not so hard to fix,

They gave me a very good sum for the car - well over £1000 - I was expecting them to offer me a low price initially & then me having to fight them for a decent price. Their initial offer was much more than I was expecting to be honest.

Apparently it's Admirals policy not to sell written off cars back to you. Not sure why but I don't have space to repair/break it anyway as we've got the Astra & Merc on the drive & my Zetec engined Reliant SS1 project in the garage!

At the end of the day it's only another old car - albeit a good low mileage one - & no one was hurt in the accident. I wasn't a happy bunny last week at all (due to the accident & other reasons I've not mentioned - they say bad things always come in thrree's & that was certainly true of last week!); also I wasn't looking forward to fighting with the insurance company for a better payout but as it turns out there's no need to now. I'm still not particularly happy that it's the Micra that's gone, as we were thinking of selling the Astra, but sh!t happens.

:)

well if you are happy with the money they gave you then thats fine, i think it would still be worth around the 2k mark but never mind

I went on to a few valuation sites & the best price they could come up with was £1400(ish) - I couldn't be bothered about arguing the toss with the insurance company for £100, I just wanted the whole thing done with really.

Not sure where you get £2000 from?!?! - I've seen a couple of Micra's on Autotrader near this but they were all at dealers &, in my opinion, a bit over priced.

:)

My grey Micra was a write off (rear end with a huge damage and front with light damage), but i said to the insurance company that i wanted more than the 1700€ they wanted to give me, i asked for 2500€ and the car, they accepted, got it fixed for 2000€ plus 500€ for a new paint job...

Back