PistonHeads.com: Speed Guns In Builder's Vans?

So now we need to look for Yellow Boxes, Horse Boxes, Builders Vans, White Vans with a sticker on the side, yellow jackets hiding behind trees, etc..... oh and the road.

in all fairness i dont speed so i dont even have to watch for them :p

one thing that does my head in is when people say 'they should advertise speed cameras more'... why?

so you can slow down before they get you and then speed again straight after

i dont know anyone that can run at 60mph so be happy doing that speed in a car instead of trying to go even faster

in all fairness i dont speed so i dont even have to watch for them :p

one thing that does my head in is when people say 'they should advertise speed cameras more'... why?

so you can slow down before they get you and then speed again straight after
The law stipulates that all speed camera vehicles must be clearly marked as such and when in service must be positioned in such a way that they are clearly visible to road users, they are blatently breaking the law themselves here, it would be fairly easy to fight a conviction arising from the use of one of these.

i dont know anyone that can run at 60mph so be happy doing that speed in a car instead of trying to go even faster

If thats the case then what's the point of having anything that can travel over 30 mph, can anyone run faster than that ? maybe we should all drive these....
b2.jpg
flat out at 48 mph, plenty fast enough, the point is that they are using these vans and horse boxes as revenue making machines, if you dont have visible police presence then you wont slow down, a marked car or van will make you slow down, isn't that the point of the cameras in the first place.

That is absolutely disguting! Just remember to only give a "v" sign to it with one hand, as taking both hands off the wheel could be dangerous!

I think it's ridiculous. It's not surprising nobody has any respect for the police when they resort to stealth tactics like this

Well Sonic to be honest 30mph is plenty fast enough too. You can definatley understand 30mph limits in towns for obvious reasons, they are almost allways residential areas with children about, and therefore slower speeds are required, i never speed if the limits 30 and i can say that with my hand on my heart

i will admit i have gone over the limit in a national, but not by much and not for too long.

the law stipulates that speed limits must be adhered to at all times, not just when the police are about. Basically the fact of the matter is you cant complain they are breaking the law by not clearly marking their vehicles if your breaking the law by going above whatever limit may be in place. Im sure that nobody can argue with that

Yeah but to be fair we all creep over the speed limit by accident. It's easy to get up to 32 in a 30 zone betwwen checking the speedo and the mirrors and back to the speedo. If you see a van you are more likely to check your speed. It isn't fair to get caught like that because of a few MPH

I think people dislike the fact they lower the limits on certain roads, say 60 to 50, or even 40 for pretty much no reason at all. They've done that on roads around here and then stick scamera vans on them to catch people, probably not aware of the changes.

Well i know for a fact in west yorkshire you are allowed a lee-way of about 3MPH on the static cameras, not sure about the vans though.

And also another way of getting around it, should you be given a ticket through the post, is to write a letter to the police chief of wherever you were caught and ask them to see the service records of the camera itself with the date it was callibrated on too.

Knowing a few coppers through my dads occupation gave me that insight (Y)

Think that law about them having to let us know where they are was taken out "quietly" last year....so they dont!

Yes the camera's don't have to visible any more. The money raised by cameras used to be collected by the force but they took that away from them and relaxed the rules around how visible the camera needs to be so a hidden camera is just about catching people breaking the law. I think they can still claim money from the yellow boxes but not from things like this.

The only speed camera I operate has a smiley face on it unless you go over either 20 or 30 mph (dependant on the setting), for around schools etc...

Back