PistonHeads.com: RAC Foundation: Scrap Cars Older Than 18 Years

Boo what a load of crap.

A twenty year old K10 is still going to be more fuel efficient than a brand new fiesta ST and thousands of other cars

‘Making it affordable for motorists to scrap clapped-out cars and opt instead for a cleaner, more fuel-efficient and more reliable vehicle"

Its not as bad at the title, actually is quite a good idea. Still means we have the choice of driving a older car. (as we would since new cars have zero character)

Boo what a load of crap.

A twenty year old K10 is still going to be more fuel efficient than a brand new fiesta ST and thousands of other cars
Fuel efficient maybe, but would probably kick out a fair few more noxious gases due to the lack of a catalytic converter.

I don't agree with the idea (unless it was down to choice), but I can see what they were getting at, especially if you compare a 1.0 K10 like-for-like with a 1.0 K11 or K12.

*Glances at his 22 year old Bluebird Turbo* - now THAT'S kicking out pollution! :laugh:

its to force people in the near future to drive in new cars with tracking devices. more than likely. becuase they know most people would otherwise keep their old cars.

Fuel efficient maybe, but would probably kick out a fair few more noxious gases due to the lack of a catalytic converter.

I don't agree with the idea (unless it was down to choice), but I can see what they were getting at, especially if you compare a 1.0 K10 like-for-like with a 1.0 K11 or K12.

*Glances at his 22 year old Bluebird Turbo* - now THAT'S kicking out pollution! :laugh:

You should try my blooming citroen, you can practically hear the part burnt fuel dumping itself out of the exhaust!

They'd better not come near my 25yearold car! grr.

i'm just fed up for all this save the planet crap. Yes i agree something needs to be done, but Britain is a tiny dot in comparison to the rest of the world.

Binning older cars as they don't have cats won't make much difference compared to factories, american cars, power stations, de-forestation and god knows how much other bad stuff that's happening out there. Apparently cows arses pollute more than cars do, but you don't see the people calling for gassy moo's to be culled.

Apparently cows arses pollute more than cars do, but you don't see the people calling for gassy moo's to be culled.
I'm sick of hearing that quoted. Cows do something in our eco-system, they provide us with food and milk, they fertilise the grass with their crap, they were around long before cars were and when they die they bio-degrade.

I hate this eco crap as much as most petrolheads, but that cow story is a complete moot point.

It's ok to argue the point about Climate change or whatever you want to call it but whether you Drive a 20 year old car or a 2 year old car they both do exactly the same, they both pollute. We worry about our health when it comes down to Smoking (approx 70 chemicals in one Cigarette) but when it's about Cars/Vehicles we're extremely blind. One of the Chemicals in Petrol, Benzine, is probably one of the most deadliest Chemicals ever to be used by the Human race.

If we had ANY sense at all we'd give up our Vehicles tomorrow.

The Government has stated that it needs to get the Emissions reduced by 80% by 2050 so scrapping old cars is not the answer scrapping EVERY Car is imo.

As for Milk please please help yourself to the myriad of information that will tell you stuff you REALLY DIDN'T want to know :)

Moooo!

As for Milk please please help yourself to the myriad of information that will tell you stuff you REALLY DIDN'T want to know :)

Moooo!
I know it all, don't worry, but in my eyes it tastes alright and is pasteurised and homogenised so the puss isn't going to kill me! I'd rather it than soy milk!

there aint no benzene in my lpg :wasntme: .
i think we should all run our cars on methane captured from the cow,s butt,s :)

This is what happens when statistics get involved......what's the 'carbon footprint' of a beef burger. FFS! There's a carbon footprint on anything, even us......soon we'll hear of running being banned because we kick out more CO2 per km than a moped does.

I'd like them to try and suggest that in 5 years my standard 1.3 Micra is hideously inefficient and needs to be replaced with a newer 'more efficient' model, which has further contributed to CO2 emissions by being made in the first place. I highly doubt that the energy needed to produce the newer car will be paid back in it's lifetime, if it did it would need to do several 1000miles to the gallon to be of any conceivable benefit.

I'm not even going to get involved in carbon footprint, so called re-newable or even sustainable energies........I work in the energy trade and so far I have yet to see anything of substance which is actually attempting to solve any of these problems other than to make some investors and shareholders very rich.

Back