PistonHeads.com: BBC Row Over Clarkson Joke

people get offended so easily, even when it has nothing to do with them. i bet the 200 complaints come from non-lorryist as well. lol

can we all complain about the stupid things people are complaining about
it was tame compared to some of the stuff they get away with
i mean it would be like us complaining about them damaging the micra on the same episode

its liberalist shirt lifting curtain twitchers that cause this type of trouble. they all jump on the badn wagon.

the johnothan ross thing only recieved 3 complaints...... untill the bbc started publisizing it.... then it got 10,000........i bet 90% of that lot had never even heard the bleeding show.

its happened before, trial by media.......and it has to stop. nobody can replace jezza. hes a legend, and if the show is scripted (which it is) it should be the script writers who have to apologise.....not J-C

having worked Goods-In for a fair few years i got to know alot of lorry drivers, and although i'd be happy to say a good number of them were lunatics, i would not go as far as branding them all as prozzi-killers...

whilst i understand people saying it political correctness gone mad etc, i'm not really surprised the bbc has recieved so many complaints - i bet the Road Haulage Association and General Transport Union were pretty irked at having their members disrespected on national tv...

i know, i know ~ its all just a bit of fun ~ but i reckon that alot of us here would be less then pleased if as popular a presenter as Clarkson branded all members of whatever sector You work in as wife-beaters, or even every micra driver as a peadophile...

having worked Goods-In for a fair few years i got to know alot of lorry drivers, and although i'd be happy to say a good number of them were lunatics, i would not go as far as branding them all as prozzi-killers...

whilst i understand people saying it political correctness gone mad etc, i'm not really surprised the bbc has recieved so many complaints - i bet the Road Haulage Association and General Transport Union were pretty irked at having their members disrespected on national tv...

i know, i know ~ its all just a bit of fun ~ but i reckon that alot of us here would be less then pleased if as popular a presenter as Clarkson branded all members of whatever sector You work in as wife-beaters, or even every micra driver as a peadophile...

or a granny who drives around at 25mph.....

and some people can take a joke as a joke and not to take things to heart.
believe it or not some truck drivers HAVE killed prostitutes. mainly in the usa.:unclesam: but its a stereotype that has been played on for 40 years or so, movies, documenteries, tv programs..... who cares what is said tongue in cheek on top gear by someone who is known for tongue in cheek?

i will repeat myself.... "IF YOU DONT LIKE IT, TURN OVER.."

Antony -

i'm well aware of the real-life basis of this joke, but why apply what is basically an american stereotype to British drivers...

all i'm doing is empathising with people who have been ridiculed and mis-labeled on national tv - would you really be laughing if he had declared that every branch manager of an automotive accesories retail chain was an anti-freeze fueled rapist.?.

its always easy to laugh when the jokes not on you.....

Oh im sorry but really i think you should stop being uptight, no really. I have ginger hair and used to wear glasses, if i got as upset over a relatively small NOT SERIOUS joke as that, as some people seem to, i would have probably killed myself years ago with some of the genuinely malicous stuff that has been said.

LAUGH IT OFF, for gods sake, really, no ones sniggering under their breaths everytine they see a truck drive "oh he must be on his way to kill a prostitute".

And as for anti-freeze fuelled racist, thats hilarious! :)

Oh im sorry but really i think you should stop being uptight, no really. I have ginger hair and used to wear glasses, if i got as upset over a relatively small NOT SERIOUS joke as that, as some people seem to, i would have probably killed myself years ago with some of the genuinely malicous stuff that has been said.

LAUGH IT OFF, for gods sake, really, no ones sniggering under their breaths everytine they see a truck drive "oh he must be on his way to kill a prostitute".

And as for anti-freeze fuelled racist, thats hilarious! :)

well said!

Antony -

i'm well aware of the real-life basis of this joke, but why apply what is basically an american stereotype to British drivers...

all i'm doing is empathising with people who have been ridiculed and mis-labeled on national tv - would you really be laughing if he had declared that every branch manager of an automotive accesories retail chain was an anti-freeze fueled rapist.?.

its always easy to laugh when the jokes not on you.....

no but he and everyone else does label us as the same type of low-life scumbags who work in dixons and all we sell is stickers and silly fast and furious style wings.
but i dont care as it doesnt effect me. i am a big boy and can identify a joke when i see one. unlike the majority of truck drivers by the luck of it. funny that isnt it?:upside:

Look at the PH comments, even truck drivers don't really care. Someone who probably doesn't even have a driving licence just thought it would be good of them to complain, sad #######s

... and can identify a joke when i see one...

the first time he said it i laughed - but a part of me thought 'thats a bit close to the bone' - by the second and third times he had repeated it i was sure this would get complaints and thus blow-up into a 'storm in a tea cup'...

sure he acknowledged the difficulty of their job, but to then go on and imply they pick up hookers for hand-jobs and homicide, so soon after the 'Ross and Brand affair', to me just smacks of deliberatly stiring up controvicy to re-enforce his 'bad-boy' image and get some media attention .. personally i think its a bit sad that he has to resort to insulting people just to keep himself in the news, and especially cynical as i'm sure he knows just how invaluable he is to the bbc... but enough of one mans oppinions, now its time for me to shut up and clear the floor once again for the fanatics of the Church of Jezza.....

the first time he said it i laughed - but a part of me thought 'thats a bit close to the bone' - by the second and third times he had repeated it i was sure this would get complaints and thus blow-up into a 'storm in a tea cup'...

sure he acknowledged the difficulty of their job, but to then go on and imply they pick up hookers for hand-jobs and homicide, so soon after the 'Ross and Brand affair', to me just smacks of deliberatly stiring up controvicy to re-enforce his 'bad-boy' image and get some media attention .. personally i think its a bit sad that he has to resort to insulting people just to keep himself in the news, and especially cynical as i'm sure he knows just how invaluable he is to the bbc... but enough of one mans oppinions, now its time for me to shut up and clear the floor once again for the fanatics of the Church of Jezza.....

yup... ive just been out and bought the new o'mighty jezza's new DVD.:wasntme:

"Change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, murder a prostitute, change gear, change gear, murder. That's a lot of effort in a day."

or loosely translated

"Change gear, change gear, change gear, check your mirrors, yank the plank, change gear, change gear, yank. That's a lot of effort in a day."

so soon after the 'Ross and Brand affair', to me just smacks of deliberatly stiring up controvicy to re-enforce his 'bad-boy' image and get some media attention ..

This would have been filmed months ago though, and again, it's down to the producers or whoever to edit out content if it's deemed unsuitable for broadcasting, not clarkson. Likewise Ross & Brand weren't at fault for there recording going out, as that wasn't live either.

and some people can take a joke as a joke and not to take things to heart. believe it or not some truck drivers HAVE killed prostitutes. mainly in the usa.:unclesam:

i believe someone did do it in the uk in the past, he killed 5 prostitutes altogether before getting caught. and according to some articles, thats what triggered it to be written as scripts. :glance:

Back