PistonHeads.com: '£10k Per Hour' Speed Camera Strategy Panned

the camera at the top of my road was in the mirror a few years back as one of the top 10 earners, but £840m from speed cameras and half of our roads still look and feel like ploughed fields.

the roads in grimsby are almost undriveable. they are full of cracks, potholes, bumps, undulations, raised manholes, peeling surfaces and loose tarmac.

the whole road network is screwed and the only way to survive on todays roads is to own a huge 4x4 as most of todays town driving includes a very arduous off road track (mainly the streets around the centres of towns and cities)

in the last 7 years the government has changed the way it actually repairs road surfaces. the road surface used to be dug up and relayed with new hardcore and a single layer of tarmac layed on top, whilst still hot another layer is rolled to produce the final surface.
now what they do is scrap off that top layer, scuff it up a bit and lay down 3 of 4 thinner layers but they wait too long between the layers and it hardens. the whole point of having hot tarmac is that the bitumen bonds to the surface below it. if its allowed to cool down between layers it will never last, ask any qualified tarmac drive layer..

so after 2 years of driving over the stuff it starts to peel between the layers, allowing moisture in and after time pot holes appear. or even worse huge chunks of road surface start to peel.
so what do they do?... they patch the holes with hot tarmac that has a high tar to stone ratio (useless on road surfaces) and then lay bitumen tar over the top and sprinkle it with stones. what the hell are they doing?

this is almost criminal as its damaging cars, damaging bikes and endangering lives.

i will say it again, speed has nothing to do with 90% of all road accidents, but with the state of the roads as they are, even doing the speed limit is becoming difficult.

Stupid, big, fat, waste, of, money!

Why the motorway. For a start, motorways are statistically the safetest roads in the country, and when I last read the highway code during my driving lessons (10 months ago), pedestrians and cyclists weren't allowed on the motorway.

Now, if they had camera's that could catch people talking on their mobile, doing their make-up/hair, playing with their Ipod etc, then they could be a lot more minted.

And ant, in devon, instead of redoing the whole road, no matter how bad it is, they just patch up the rough bits. And we're meant to have the largest road network in the country or something...

And there was something in the paper a while back about the government fixing the roads, and there were some local authority's and parishes, that said potholes make roads safer, and they wouldn't patch them!!!! WTFFFF!!!!!? They claim pot holes make people drive slower and more cautiously. They obviously forgot about the sheer amount of damage they do to cars, making them swerve which unbalances them, which causes more accidents, and pretty much kill motorcyclists and cyclists. Ohh, and lets not forget the crap that comes out of potholes which chips windscreens, and could injure pedestrians.

This government has so many priorities messed up it's amazing they can get dressed in the morning.

I totally disagree with these Cameras and always have.

BUT.....

We have to back to where all this has started: Politicians. These people have no invested interest whether you think the sky is blue, pink white or in fact any colour, they don't care what you or anybody else thinks of their ideas, it will happen anyway because money rules and we're the fools and there's millions of us sitting back doing nothing whilst a few thousand get it off their chest in thinking that we're better than them.

If they don't believe experts when they're given results which goes against Gov't findings then what chance is there of the Gov't backing down.....None.....

The crux of the matter is that it doesn't matter to them and it never will do. They know nothing about everything except seeing the
££££ sign in front of their faces. They'll continue to start wars and oppress this nation, Tax it to death whilst our forces are manipulated into wars on the basis it's defending our country but we'll keep taking it, just like we've been taking it for hundreds of years, nothing will change everything will stay the same whilst the elite are in charge going "la la la I can't hear you"

My local council has £45 million stashed in the bank for what I know not but none of that money will be spent on the roads to make them safer because they're the same as the Gov't.

If you're a Politician it's not what you know it's who you know that matters and as long as there's money to be made so will the the people of this country....I thank you :D

Back