piper cam regrind

Hi all if i was to get a ma12 cam reground to ultimate road spec by piper a full straight through custom ss exhaust and have the carbs set up properly what power could i possibly be looking at or is there anything i may have missed that could help such as mlsg or port polish :) or wud it just be more worthwhile dropping a ma12 in and doing it all to that aha
Many thanks
Ben

re mods

ideally an ma12 engine is better but the first thing to do on either engine is to lose the inlet manifold which is highly restrictive then the exhaust manifold .autograssers run standard cams and can see 90bhp at the flywheel with no probs with light head work and manifold changes

first i would get rid of the exhaust manifold. the inlet is one of the best designed I have seen so far, but the exhaust one is really terrible. a wonder, that the cylinder don't blow each other away

Thanks for the response guys if i can get my hands on a MA12 il work on that until then il stick with the ma10 i already have bike carbs on to basicly full exhaust would help the most anyone reccomend any reputable exhaust builders
Many thanks
Ben

Not true. The inlet manifold is dire! If its the best you've seen, you haven't seen many!

Very similar story with the CG series inlet manifolds, although they don't look as dire as the MA. Some rate them but that's only because they haven't compared them with anything else.......once you swap, you never go back.

eh ? what your 15.7 vs my 15.4 ? fwn

Er what? You've still to beat my pod time, AT pod. Other times at other venues are irrelevant ffs.

This is about the stock inlet being dire. Dyno showed more power and torque and was supported by quicker 1/4mile times back to back on the same car with no other modifications. You're talking about something completely different.

Er what? You've still to beat my pod time, AT pod. Other times at other venues are irrelevant ffs.

This is about the stock inlet being dire. Dyno showed more power and torque and was supported by quicker 1/4mile times back to back on the same car with no other modifications. You're talking about something completely different.

lol, no-one is gonna claim a stock inlet mani is better than a set of quads ffs fwn.
dire ??? but still quicker tho eh :p

lol, no-one is gonna claim a stock inlet mani is better than a set of quads ffs fwn.
dire ??? but still quicker :p

You were the one who rated the standard inlet manifold. Make your mind up man. You change stories quicker than the wind, jeese...

I would expect a claim rating it to be backed up with relevent results. If the stock inlet was good I would have expected to see much less than +21bhp gain on the same setup, (+19bhp initially, more with some tweeks i.e. not having 12psi in the tyres lol).

Quicker
rock.gif
n'ah, not until you cough up the fuel money and post a 'quicker' time at POD. I have a feeling I will be waiting a long time ;)

Anyway, none of this is related to the MA12 specifically........

/end

Anyway, none of this is related to the MA12 specifically........

/end

yes, back on topic !, the MA mani (and exh mani) i agree are dire (Y) the intake is directed away from the engine then sent 180deg back towards the engine fwn.
whereas the later CG was no doubt designed with the help of CAD for maximum midrange torque characteristics (hence your higher hp, but my quicker 1/4 mile times lol :grinning:)

whereas the later CG was no doubt designed with the help of CAD for maximum midrange torque characteristics (hence your higher hp, but my quicker 1/4 mile times lol :grinning:)

Apples and Oranges......hence why you weren't able to run quicker at POD lol ;)

Anyway, enough of this tomfoolery, this is getting quite tiresome going over the same stuff again and again. Facts speak for themselves, no amount of bending the perspective will change things
tounge.gif

If the MA series inlet manifold is so bad, how come we don't see many manifold mods rolled out to MA street cars, I would have thought it would be a great mod to add some power. It seems there's a lot to learn from the grasstrack mob and get some quick K10's about the place?

Great base to work from then benandy. I have no experience with the MA series but opting for an MA12 over an MA10 will give an immediate cc advantage which will be very useable on the road. I'm assuming this is a road car and not a grasstrack car restricted to certain rules and regs. Porting depending on cam & compression yes but people like davew or bopsp16 will surely have that down and have plenty of basis to comment on with respect to setups. Polishing is worth very little, (<1%), and can hinder things depending on what you mean by it, (I usually ignore it as just a term thrown around to mean headwork in general).

Aha i probably failed to mention i already have bike carbs with a custom mani ahaha

its not going to be very daily driver friendly benandy :eek: a full race 1.0 like that will be really gutless under about 4k fwn.
you have to bear in mind that even stock cams dont close the inlet valve till about 42deg after bottom dead centre, and those short carb tracts will have no column of fast flowing air behind them to cram the air in while that inlet valve is closing (like what you have with a stock manifold :p)
so as a result the cylinders wont be filling properly, and compression will suffer, and you will have to rev the goolies off it everywhere :eek:
MA12 ftw :)

Cheers for all the response been very helpful looks like I'm gonna have to get a MA12 then :p and give it to davew for him to work his magic on it I wud be able to just put the carbs straight on the ma12 won't I

re mods

ideally an ma12 engine is better but the first thing to do on either engine is to lose the inlet manifold which is highly restrictive then the exhaust manifold .autograssers run standard cams and can see 90bhp at the flywheel with no probs with light head work and manifold changes
Hi mate , what type of inlet mani do you reccomend if the standard one is crap eh? Thanks :)

re mods

hi,,what inlet manifold on a 1,000 k10 engine and cam,

Back