Picked Up A New Exhaust Manifold...... Then My Car Brokedown :(

Hi All

So was triumphantly driving home after picking up an exhaust manifold from a Cube Z10 Alpha, then lost all power in the car.

I will be diagnosing this weekend, but nothing is immediately obvious. What are the common issues it could be?

So far I am thinking
- Fuel Pump
- Coils
- Dizzy Cap

Timing chain is fine (despite what Mr RAC said!!). It was a sudden, immediate loss of power after which it will turn over fine, but not fire at all.

Sounds like what happened to me, it's a gut wrenching feeling when it won't restart after dumping the clutch while still rolling and then you're stuck in the middle of the road and you turn it and nothing. My heart fell out of my as$hole when it did it on a motorway in the middle of the night.

AA diagnosed it as a fuel blockage, turned out to be distributor which also took out a fuse and the ECU on it's way. This might be a bit of broscience here, but I think if the fuse is gone then the internals of the distributor are broken, but if the fuse is intact then it's just the cap/rotor.

Cheers Matt!

After digging through the forums it, it does seem like the distributor is a known issue on these cars. Nissy has also struggled to start after being left outside on rainy nights which seems to point to distributor as well.

I will take broscience at the moment, which fuse specifically should I check?

Cheers Matt!

After digging through the forums it, it does seem like the distributor is a known issue on these cars. Nissy has also struggled to start after being left outside on rainy nights which seems to point to distributor as well.

I will take broscience at the moment, which fuse specifically should I check?
I don't know, I was a ham-fisted moron and just started pulling out 10 at a time to test them for continuity, It was one of the 7.5amp ones, and there were 3 it could have been based on what I had pulled out at the time I found it

haynes was calling them: "central locking", "ABS" and "ECU"
and the diagram on the back of the fusebox was calling the same 3 fuses: "ABS", "electronic parts" and "starter signal"

Cheers Matt amd Nissan Boy!

Dizzy cap was first thing I tried. As it has given me grief before. Also double checked the timing chain didnt snap....

Do think it is the distibitor though so will try and hunt one down in a scrappy. Pricey for a brand new one!!!

Did you clean the contacts they go white or can get damp, which kills a engine just a clean with some fine sand parter or wire , and check the rotor is clean
Timing is rare to fail if anything can jump but rare,
Have you check ed for spark? ,pull the fuel pump fuse , pull a plug out ect
Second hand dizzy be like £15 20 if that realistic

Yeah. Cleaned contacts etc. Checked for sparks by putting plugs on the engine cover and ticking her over. Nothing happened.

Havent dug through fuses or anything yet. Dizzys are proving hard to get! Unless i pay £110ish for a new one.

I bought an off-brand Mikayo one for around £80-100 and it's given me no problems since, but not being a direct swap I don't think I have the timing exactly right, so I'm probably going to spend a bit more getting that adjusted next time it'd in the garage or spend on a timing light to try to figure it out myself. I don't know what I have to remove to find the timing marks on the pulleys.

The first time mine went, I replaced it with one from a scrapyard, that was £40 for everything including the leads and that was around 2013 or so. I wish I'd kept the one that came with the car because I think the first time it probably just needed a cap and rotor and that dizzy only had 30,000 miles on it at the time. I replaced it with a genuine nissan one from scrapyard, and that was of unknown mileage, then that one went 12,000 miles later.

The reason I went with a brand new one is because I'm unlikely to be able to get a second hand one with low mileage, which is why I regret tossing my own original one, however I didn't have the knowledge at the time to know if it was the internals that were wrong with it. A new nissan genuine one now is like £250-350. From research I did when mine broke, the cap/rotor are wear parts and typically last around 19,000 miles before they need replacing, the internals can be replaced but it's a skilled job, no idea how long they last.

Also I can see why nissan moved to coilpacks on the second facelift, anybody doing a decent mileage each year will find themselves replacing the distributor cap and rotor at least every year and a half to 2 years. They're a lot more reliable but the upgrade isn't simple unless you change out everything

Also I can see why nissan moved to coilpacks on the second facelift, anybody doing a decent mileage each year will find themselves replacing the distributor cap and rotor at least every year and a half to 2 years. They're a lot more reliable but the upgrade isn't simple unless you change out everything
How many miles a year you doing cause I know of quite a.few.people who do decent millage or hard use without problems ,
Find the dizzy are better then the coil packs (coil packs have more timming options tho)
And dizzy wise millage doesn't really could it's the conditon I got one off a 20k car it's the same condition as my 100k ,
And had a 145k one it had never been touched and was still fine

Sent from my moto g(6) using Micra Sports Club mobile app

Success!!! Swapped in a 'new' Distributor. Super easy to swap out in the end, and the car starts and runs fine :)

Now I just need to get it through the MOT :|

Success!!! Swapped in a 'new' Distributor. Super easy to swap out in the end, and the car starts and runs fine :)

Now I just need to get it through the MOT :|
glad to hear it

It really is touch and go as well, it sputters for a while before it finally goes with a new one on gives you something to get excited about

Back