Performance tyres

CMF_Grev

» CMF Member
Hey guys, I tried to find performance tyres like the eagle F1 but they're only for 17 inch wheels and up, what are the good performance tyres that are less than that wheel diameter and ones that aren't as low profiles as 45s?

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"I have a pair of toyo R888s they are a good tyre

Yep the R888 make a great performance street tyre, I got a year out of a set of 195/50R15s on my 1600.

I currently run 205/50R15 Dunlop DZ03G as a performance tyre, however if you want a bit of longevity at the expense of performance have a look at Toyo R1R or Federal RS-R.

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Grev WROTE:

"After a bit of research, do you guys know a good tyre for the price/performance ratio? The Toyos won't be as expensive as the well known brands, surely.

What size tyres are you after?

Federal RS-R are hard to beat for value, but I wouldn't call them a true performance tyre in the league of the R888, A050, DZ03G, RE55, FZ201 etc.
Have a look at the kumho v70a and v700 on tirerack.com, they are excellent tyres that are pretty well priced even with postage from the states.

CMF_Grev

» CMF Member
Tyrie WROTE:
What size tyres are you after
Oh well sizes wise probably up to 17 inch or smaller. At this time I'm looking at something not too low profile, smallest would be 50 too.

The Federals seems to be getting pretty good review for a lower tier manufacturer.

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
33driver WROTE:

"Kumho KU31, best tyre I have ever used at a the price point, I use them on the Micra and Skyline, they do everything from 14" to 22" in that model.

I pay $72 a tyre for 15"s (plus $5 per tyre to fit).

KU36s are the ultimate grip tyre, but IMO KU31 is awesome for the price:

<a href="http://www.kumho.com.au/pcruhp" title="http://www.kumho.com.au/pcruhp" target="_blank">http://www.kumho.com.au/pcruhp</a>
+1
have toyo r888s on the turbo car, but kumho ku31s on the daily, and they are the best value for money tyre around

CMF_Grev

» CMF Member
Tyrie WROTE:

"wtf ku36 are the ultimate grip tyre? I would say they are a bit worse than the RS-R and are definitely a heap worse than every other tyre I mentioned above.
Personally I don't have any experience with any of them, that's why I am asking, I can't vouch for the other boys though.

And I still don't know what exact measurements I would like, I just know I don't want for example the Goodyear eagle F1 tyres because it only comes in big rim sizes and the low profile category... I was looking for references to see whatever I can salvage from the online reviews.

And my usage would mainly be just normal roads, but near the top performance, and I wonder if semi-slicks would fit my bill... Guess I would like to compared the best street tyres and semi-slicks to see if they're worth the performance/value/durability ratio.

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
I bought a set of ku36 when they first came out because they were cheap. IMO they fail massively at bridging the gap between a street tyre and a semi slick. They sucked when they were cold and they were harder than a semi so they never reached temp. I can't comment on longevity because I binned them straight away.

If you want something in between a street tyre and a semi that works on the street and track look at the RS-R and R1R. They will never be as quick as a true semi-slick but I reckon they would suit your needs.

FWIW my next set of performance tyres will be 175/60R13 Yokohama Advan A050 in a soft compound.

CMF_Grev

» CMF Member
I just thought they wouldn't be readily available because they're not mainstream tyres, and especially with federal since it's not a well known brand.

I will definitely assess the situation and see what I should/can do though! :)

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
KU36 are a good grip tyre for the price (as I said above), that said, they are used a lot of drifting as they are a good compromise . They ARE a great steer tyre IMO, but I use the KU31s on all my cars at the moment.

Can't comment on the R888s and others, but from other ppl speaking about them they are obviously an awesome tyre, but $$$?

Cheers,
Matt

CMF_climberjoel

» CMF Member
grev

so if you bought bluey then im assuming you have 15inch wheels?

When buying tyres make real sure you know what you want them for. When you say 'performance tyres' are you after nice street tyres or track tyres? THere is a massive difference between the two.

At the moment I have Toyo R1R's 195/50r15 (supposedly better wearing semis) which i got for around $600, while I got these hoping for street tyres which can deal with track work (or vice versa) they are too track focused for street use. On the track they are great (very great), but driving on the street you very rarely use their potential, and the rest of the time they are just wearing out cause they are so soft. THis makes for a ridiculously expensive daily tyre, which are just being wasted imo

My next tyre will be a 195/14r15 to get a better profile, and probably one of these: http://www.bobjane.com.au/tyre-size...Tyres/idm/15/ira/45.html?ACTION=SUBMIT_WIZARD.

Ive had experience with the Falken (have them in 185/55r14 on another micra). THey are a good tyre, reasonably priced and great in the wet. But ill probably try something different for the 15's.

anyway sorry for the ramble, hope some part of it helps,

Cheers,

CMF_kovert.k11

» CMF Member
joel, bluey's got 16s on her mate...
from my personal experience with different tyres and different setups, i can say that if ur looking for semi-slicks, u can't go past yokohama advan A038s - awesome performance even when they are relatively cold, and handle well in the wet... r888s on the turbo car are a nice tyre, but only seem to peak performance wise once they get a bit of heat in them... tyre selection comes down to budget ultimately, and as stated before, for quality performance at a good price, kumho ku31s ftw

Back