Parking Break Problem

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

I got an advisory on my MOT that the parking break only just meets the required efficiency. I was wondering if I just need to tighten the cable to fix this problem and the best way to go about doing that.

Thanks Alot,

Chris.

CMF_asdame

» CMF Member
is it rear drums or disc? you only tighten the handbrake cable if it takes more than 6-7 clicks to engage. check the pads/shoes are not contaminated, handbrake cable not seized or damaged and the handbrake mechanism in the rear caliper/drum isn't seized.

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Hi,

It is drums. I put it on 6 clicks on a steep slope, and it slided so I think it might need tightening a bit. Held on 7-8 clicks. Can I do this with the bolt under the handbrake lever?

Thanks,

Chris.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
you,ll probably find its leaking cylinders chris, and its best to take the drums off and adjust the (so called) self adjusters first, and then adjust the cable afterwards (if needed)

frank

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Thanks for the advice, ill take the drums off. Just noticed one of the outer gaiters (next to the front wheel) has split and is leaking grease. Do you think I will have to remove the drive shafts to replace this? Might just get one of those split gaiter kits :).

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
ChrisB WROTE:
Do you think I will have to remove the drive shafts to replace this? Might just get one of those split gaiter kits :).

i,m not keen on those split gaitors chris (you have to keep the join spotless, and superglue is very brittle)
the shaft comes out pretty easy (2 knuckle bolts and nuts, hubnut and steering on full lock)

frank

CMF_ChrisB

» CMF Member
Thanks for the advice frank. I think I might try and do it properly. I just removed the old gaitor and it had a bit of grit in the grease, although there was still alot of grease about the CV joint. Should I be worried that some small bits of grit have got in there? I plan to really clean it out. I heard that if the CV joint locks while driving due to grit it is a nightmare :).

Back