oil change frequency

CMF_frankieboy

» CMF Member
thankyou --- its getting towards wintertime here in the U.K. & the average temperatures are starting to drop. tonights air temperature is expected to drop to below -0.C, does this make any difference with regard to the viscocity of the oil used ?

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
Every 10k and only ever used penrite oil HPR5 which is a 5w40 weight oil. Micra used a 7w30 or 7w40 oil from factory.
Any of the brand name oils will do a good job so as long as you done go for anything thicker than a 10w you will be fine

CMF_Micra_King

» CMF Member
LowMicra WROTE:

"After about 150000 anything over 10w is good
Not really. There is a good reason Nissan used a light oil for the micra. Unless the motor is worn and needs the thicker oil. Sure your motor still run but its the start up wear that is the issue that might take time to show up from using the thicker oil. Your car/your choice.

CMF_Bishop

» CMF Member
I personally think 10k is a long interval for a little engine, but driving conditions are a factor in that, I'd do more 6-8k or every 6 months, which is what I typically do anyway, oil usually contaminates faster than it wears out unless your always freeway driving.

With oil weight, I spoke to a top oil technician once, the only real reason to use thicker oil, if if yours is burning enough to justify it, but good engines don't burn oil, so stick with factory fill recommendations.

There is a good oil guide in the cars handbook, from memory it lists anything from 5-15/whatever, depending on your average temps where you live, in Qld you easily get away with a 15/XX cause it's never really cold here, though if your after maximizing your economy the thinner oil help that, some engines also have a sweet spot for some weights, where they run the smoothest.

Back