Nissan uk explosion!!!!

R05_Micra

Ex. Club Member
was at work tonight and about 10.20pm, the paintshop (top coat B for those who know it!) exploded! chaos!!!!! full exacuation, near 20 if not more fire appliances! pretty scary stuff. lucky the paint room (where paint is in store rigged up the the robots n spray guns) never went off, i wouldnt be here now!
anyways, topcoat A has collapsed apparently. the cause is thought to be 2 welders were working in the booth (full of paint, solvent, fumes etc....) and they went for a pint, but left gas on! BOOM!!!!!!(apparently tho, just a rumour at the min!) i was in phase 3 bumper paint at the time n never heard/see/felt a thing but i was a BIG explotion! any ways, just to let people know thats all and to tell my tale lol!

p.s no one was hurt!:D

RE: Nissan uk explotion!!!!

Woah sounds a bit of an exclusive story to me!

RE: Nissan uk explotion!!!!

That is mad.
Wonder if it'll show up on the news.
Does this mean you don't have to work for a while? lol

nah, back in tommoror lol, but ive emailed sunderland echo for the story, if they do it, ill post up the info. it's weird, ya think @itll not happen when im in@ but it does and did to me! i really cant get over it! pandemonium lol!

"2 welders were working in the booth (full of paint, solvent, fumes etc....) and they went for a pint, but left gas on! BOOM!!!!!!"

its prolly the fumes ect that went up , as welders use an inert gas, eg co2 aor argon/co2 mix, but why were they welding in the sprayshop?
chie

thats what i meant, the fumes. but they were maintenace and the air was turned off. so all the gas has built up, a spar k has lit up, and with the air off the spark couldnt travelle in the air flow direction! bang!

chie said:
welders use an inert gas, eg co2 aor argon/co2 mix

Except when you are gas welding, when neither gas could be called inert...

Attachments

• P1010021.jpg
    P1010021.jpg
    373.6 KB · Views: 250
very true but i doubt they will be using oxy-acetyline in a big company like nissan tho, more likly to be mig

i work in the paint shop, wasnt in though, finished saturday morning for 2 weeks, i heard about this from a mate at work, they were welding because some new side autospray machines were being installed on said line, topcoat b, so the supports for the machines and booth walls will have been welded the cleaning company were meant to be doing a saftey clean on friday night when i was in so that there was no flammable substances left. will have to wait untill im back on the 17th to find out what the crack is. oh btw topcoats a and b are line one which paint almera and primera so these will probably be the models affected. although overall production will probably be reduced because they may need to run line one bodies up topcoats c and d

yeah, its the shut down. it got all done a couple days befor it (fireclean) itss when everything is scraped off and total clean. but no use now, its gone!

"The flames triggered the factory's "deluge" spinkler system, spraying the 100 metre square area with torrents of water."

editors for the company i work for suck... typo in the echo tisk!

I was at work on saturday and heard rumours about this. theres 2 versions, both end up the same way:

1) Contractor grinding in the paint booth. Spinklers had been turned off (a permit was signed off by a senior manager to allow this). The wall caught fire, then the roof so the contactor legged it. etc etc.

2) Contractor grinding in the paint booth. Spinklers had been disconnected due to work being carried out on them. The wall caught fire, then the roof so the contactor legged it. etc etc.

Anyway, ive seen pictures of it (1 of the techs sons works in paint) and its a fookin mess. I was driving down past the paint shop today and seen 3 large skip fulls of charred metal etc.

Apparently the spinklers in the rest of the paint shop went off and all the electrical panels are full of water. even micra lines.

Maintenance are working 12hour shifts (days and nights) 7 days a week in order to put this right.

Back