• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

Nissan Micra K12 power steering

I need help or advise regarding my Nissan Micra 2006 automatic. The power steering is heavy and I was told the steering column has to be replaced. I have looked everywhere for a replacement steering column to ni avail.
I love this little rider and wouldn't want to sell it as scrap to the mechanics who are very desperate to buy it off me.
I would appreciate your advise and direction on this matter

Many thanks,

Claudius

If it's on permanently then yes, your EPS needs addressing. Unfortunately as you've probably read elsewhere it's not as easy as replacing it with a used unit from the scrapyard as it involves NATS and calibration.

The dealership answer is totally out of the question as a new unit is going to cost well into four figures.

There's lots of information on this forum regarding the various routes people have taken, but if your local to Lincoln then I can reset it for you.

If it's on permanently then yes, your EPS needs addressing. Unfortunately as you've probably read elsewhere it's not as easy as replacing it with a used unit from the scrapyard as it involves NATS and calibration.

The dealership answer is totally out of the question as a new unit is going to cost well into four figures.

There's lots of information on this forum regarding the various routes people have taken, but if your local to Lincoln then I can reset it for you.
Many thanks for your response. You are right about the figures but unfortunately Nissan dealership stopped ordering the parts for this old model cars and no warranty from the few people I spoke to. I thought its not worth repairing because same thing will ultimately happen. Cheers

Replace the column as i have just done on my daughter's. The EPS power steering is a well known Achilles heel of the K12 Micra and is the reason many have sadly been scrapped.

No one in their right mind goes to the dealership and spends 4 figures, I paid £ 190 plus postage and it took me 2 hours to change in total.

Anyone with average DIY skills and a socket set can do it. The only thing you might need to buy is a T30 torx bit for the steering wheel fittings and that should cost less than a tenner on Ebay.

Replace the column as i have just done on my daughter's. The EPS power steering is a well known Achilles heel of the K12 Micra and is the reason many have sadly been scrapped.

No one in their right mind goes to the dealership and spends 4 figures, I paid £ 190 plus postage and it took me 2 hours to change in total.

Anyone with average DIY skills and a socket set can do it. The only thing you might need to buy is a T30 torx bit for the steering wheel fittings and that should cost less than a tenner on Ebay.
Hi there. Thanks for the response. I'm glad to hear you are skilled enough to resolve this! Where did you get the unit from please?

Hi, I got mine from a forum member Huttojb in Birmingham. He posted mine as im a couple of hours away.

You can find him either by searching his username on here or searching for the thread K12 (2004) Power Steering Fix.

Its not a difficult thing to change yourself.
Disconnect the battery 10 mins before you start then the airbag can be removed and you have started.
Once the steering wheel and the stalks are removed the actual steering unit is only held by 4x 13mm nuts. and a universal joint that clamps on the shaft with an 8mm bolt. The trickiest thing is jiggling the new one into place through the gap in the dash whilst supporting it and being ready to do the nuts up.

Back