Nismo Brake Cylinder Stopper?

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Hi,

I've bought some stuffs off yahoo Japan auction some time back... Finally they arrived at my place after a few months...

Amongst the item, one of it was a Nismo brake Cylinder stopper... Anyone heard of it or had one installed in their ride?

Need some help here as to how to have it installed... Clueless here...

CMF_Majiga

» CMF Member
During hard braking and forceful pedal operation the firewall flexes out where the brake master cylinder is located. This results in decreased brake pedal effort and feel. With the installation of the bracket/stopper kit to the strut tower, the front & back motion of the firewall where the brake master cylinder is located is secured, resulting in increased brake stopping operation. never installed one but thats its job

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
This is about the best pic I can find to show what their function is.

3914759638_673c76644c.jpg[IMG]

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Blasted flickr images, and edit fail on the forum lol.

As I was saying, this is about the best pic I can find to show what their function is.

Attachments

• 74947.jpg
    74947.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 31

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
Thanks guys for the info and help here...

Anyone fitted the Nismo one before? As the assy looks somehow different from the one in the pic, I have no idea how to go about fixing it up...

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
"During hard braking and forceful pedal operation the firewall flexes out where the brake master cylinder is located. This results in decreased brake pedal effort and feel. With the installation of the bracket/stopper kit to the strut tower, the front & back motion of the firewall where the brake master cylinder is located is secured, resulting in increased brake stopping operation. never installed one but thats its job"

Lol...this thread is funny. Just want to know what are the chances of your firewall flexing under hard braking? How much power do micra actually make?...well for start 99% of all micra and those who mods their car will make less than 100kw at the wheel. You be lucky to even make it to 80kw at the wheel. So braking to the extent of getting flex within your firewall to impare performance is pretty much non existance. Its one of those ricer look good kinda mod that does virtually nothing at all for the micra.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Mimz WROTE:
Lol...this thread is funny. Just want to know what are the chances of your firewall flexing under hard braking? How much power do micra actually make?...well for start 99% of all micra and those who mods their car will make less than 100kw at the wheel. You be lucky to even make it to 80kw at the wheel. So braking to the extent of getting flex within your firewall to impare performance is pretty much non existance. Its one of those ricer look good kinda mod that does virtually nothing at all for the micra.

Nothing but engine bay bling and one more thing to keep clean.

The issue with those booster brackets is they are entirely in the wrong plane, so offer very little in terms of additional rigidity. The master cylinder will rotate upward, which is why there is a factory brace in plane inside the car to counterect that, (see picture). It's weedy but it does a very good job all the same, (once bled the brakes with it disconnected by mistake and the firewall flexed like hell!).

Power wise, 100kW+ at the wheels is easily achievable for the 1% that do mod their Micras even a mediocre turbo setup, they're everywhere these days. 80kW+ at the wheels is also easily achievable without a turbo if you're running quads, more if you up compression and do headwork.

Attachments

• 74984.jpg
    74984.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 32

CMF_Tyrie

» CMF Member
Mimz WROTE:

""During hard braking and forceful pedal operation the firewall flexes out where the brake master cylinder is located. This results in decreased brake pedal effort and feel. With the installation of the bracket/stopper kit to the strut tower, the front & back motion of the firewall where the brake master cylinder is located is secured, resulting in increased brake stopping operation. never installed one but thats its job"

Forgive my ignorance, but what does power output have to do with braking effort?

Mimz WROTE:

lol. so true. i've never noticed a difference between a master cylinder stopper or braided brake lines for that matter either. track or street. ditto for strut braces. weld in cage ftw

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
Yep, only time I have noticed the difference with braided lines has been on an old classic where the hoses have been so old they have been suffering from thrombosis and needed to be chucked anyway.

Rollcages defo FTW and from a safety perspective screw the added weight too! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car drives with one, it's not uncommon for the stiffness of the chassis to be doubled if the cage has been installed well and is well triangulated.

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
I am pretty much undercover in the UK, there isn't much worth in posting anything over on the UK forums, they're all driven by money over there, £10 here, £50 there and you are very much shunned if you spend anything more on anything or it's not made out of old coke bottles, coat hangers and string.

The car is in several locations at the moment, (shell and engine wise), so it will be a while before they are back in one place again anytime soon.

I also live in Norway now and the car is in the UK, so I only make a few trips over per year but I'll post some up pics and info when the car is together :)

Spec wise, it's quite close to the car kovert has a blog for on here, although it wont be quite as tasteful under the bonnet as his ;)

CMF_Mimz

» CMF Member
Tyrie WROTE:

"Mimz WROTE:<BR><BR>""During hard braking and forceful pedal operation the firewall flexes out where the brake master cylinder is located. This results in decreased brake pedal effort and feel. With the installation of the bracket/stopper kit to the strut tower, the front &amp; back motion of the firewall where the brake master cylinder is located is secured, resulting in increased brake stopping operation. never installed one but thats its job"<BR><BR><BR><BR>Lol...this thread is funny. Just want to know what are the chances of your firewall flexing under hard braking? How much power do micra actually make?...well for start 99% of all micra and those who mods their car will make less than 100kw at the wheel. You be lucky to even make it to 80kw at the wheel. So braking to the extent of getting flex within your firewall to impare performance is pretty much non existance. Its one of those ricer look good kinda mod that does virtually nothing at all for the micra.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>"</DIV><BR><BR>Forgive my ignorance, but what does power output have to do with braking effort?<BR>

Well ill try my best to explain it. If you can remember back to your year 12 physic class. Newton’s Law state Force = Mass x Acceleration. The Mass of you car doesn’t change so if we increase Acceleration there will me an increase in Force. Now if we look at the micra. If we increase the car power output we will increase it rate of Acceleration therefore it forward Force or Momentum. Now to stop this micra we must apply a Deceleration Force ie, apply the brake. Hence more powerful micra will accelerate faster but required more brake pedal power to stop it. Therefore as per OP it “will” flex the firewall when we apply more pressure to the brake pedal.

Hope it all make sense.

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
Lol.. On my civic I have master cylinder stopper off my front strut brace, it made a difference. Those firewalls tend to flex though, it is a rally car. not sure about the k11 never tried it out with one.

SSUK WROTE:

"Yep, only time I have noticed the difference with braided lines has been on an old classic where the hoses have been so old they have been suffering from thrombosis and needed to be chucked anyway.

Rollcages defo FTW and from a safety perspective screw the added weight too! I'm really looking forward to seeing how the car drives with one, it's not uncommon for the stiffness of the chassis to be doubled if the cage has been installed well and is well triangulated.

+1, i have a nismo rollcage in my micra. bars and cross braces all over the place. took 4 people on each bar to smack them into place. instantly noticed a mass difference in the chasis. for one, whole car is whisper quite. no more creaks and growns, felt like a new car when i put it in. on the other hand i've got a cusco d1 cage in my 180sx, that... made ****in no difference at all, apart from making it look faster. lol

CMF_m-hayes

» CMF Member
Roll cage definitely stiffens the car, if it is multipoint (not just bottom of legs of the cage attached to the car. Mine has a Custom Cages weld in cage and as you can see from the photos on here taken when they fitted it http://www.oldschoolengineering.co.uk/gallery.htm (scroll to the bottom)

But a roll cage is a mixed blessing from a safety point of view on a road car. Both the front and rear of a Micra are designed to crumple in an accident, absorbing the shock and preventing it being transmitted to you. A roll cage, particularly one which is attached to the front and rear suspension takes some of this away, so you get to stop more suddenly which often isn't good. In fact some people think that saloon race cars would be safer if they kept the air bags and did away with the roll cage, as long as you don't turn it upside down!

CMF_SSUK

» CMF Member
m-hayes WROTE:

"Roll cage definitely stiffens the car, if it is multipoint (not just bottom of legs of the cage attached to the car. Mine has a Custom Cages weld in cage and as you can see from the photos on here taken when they fitted it <a href="http://www.oldschoolengineering.co.uk/gallery.htm" title="http://www.oldschoolengineering.co.uk/gallery.htm" target="_blank">http://www.oldschoolengineering.co.uk/gallery.htm</a> (scroll to the bottom)

But a roll cage is a mixed blessing from a safety point of view on a road car. Both the front and rear of a Micra are designed to crumple in an accident, absorbing the shock and preventing it being transmitted to you. A roll cage, particularly one which is attached to the front and rear suspension takes some of this away, so you get to stop more suddenly which often isn't good. In fact some people think that saloon race cars would be safer if they kept the air bags and did away with the roll cage, as long as you don't turn it upside down!

Those must be the same breed of people who thought seatbelts were dangerous and it was safer to be flung away from the car in a crash ;)

CMF_m-hayes

» CMF Member
SSUK WROTE:
Those must be the same breed of people who thought seatbelts were dangerous and it was safer to be flung away from the car in a crash ;)

I wish, but it was someone who has been a motorsport administrator for a long time and thinks stopping too quickly is dangerous. You stop, but your internal organs don't so major arteries get ripped off, which reduces your life expectation to zero in less than a second. You need to slow down as slowly as possible. That is why many 4x4 have a lower passenger safety rating than standard saloon cars

PS I am a fan of seatbelts, I always wear them and they have saved my life on at least one occasion.

Back