newbie needs timing help

hi guys, i have got given a old 1990 micra, which seems very hesitant at acceleration. i have done a full service and even changed plugs leads distributor cap and rotor arm in vain effect. i read on here there are different timings for different models of this car but was hoping someone could give me a idea of what it should be. I believe mine is a K10 with a 4 speed box if that helps anyone.. Many thanks

Unless the timing has been messed around with then it should never need to be altered, ever. Check all of your vacuum lines carefully for cracks and leaks before anything else.

It sounds corney, but the car will tell you when you drive it. You're going for no knocking or "pinking", and you don't want that strange miss-fire sound when you accelarate, that would be too advanced. If it slurps down fuel and doesn't have much pulling power then it's too retarded. I know it's not a technical "by the book" way of judging things, but generally, if your car is not happy with the way it's set-up, it'll let you know one way or the other. If it is happy, then it'll run like a dream.

As a starting point, warm up the engine, let it idle (i.e. no electrics on to make it rev-up) and just very slowly turn the distributor to the position where the revs have increased but won't go any higher. From there it's just a case of fine tuning with strobes or whatever. I didn't bother strobing the super s, i just did the first part and she runs beautiful, uber quiet. (Y)

well with mine its an eec model with fully electronic dizzy (alters the timing electronically instead of bobweights and vacums) so I dont think it matters too much where i put it tbh. bit of usless information but, instead of having bobweights and stuff in the dizzy, it has a crank sensor (well technically a cam sensor)

Yep, same as my super s. My gs has the reluctor dizzy, the carbed 1.2's have a lot more grunt than the ecc's it seems. My gs would run rings round my ss. It's those damn hippies and thier green laws :doh:

Back