New to Forum, K12 1.2 flat spot issue, any thoughts ?

Hello !

I am new to the forum. I am currently driving about in my dads Micra, a 57 plate K12, 1240cc 2 door etc. When cold, its fine, when hot the idle starts dropping a bit and misfiring, engine management kicks in to lift the revs a bit, then drops again etc, but doesn't stall. Then when driving, 5-10% throttle is dead ( no response - flat spot ), pass that and it will come to life ( with a bit of a jolt of course ) and is fine through the rev range.

I bought new plugs as a matter of course as I can hear pinking/detonation so my thoughts are theres wrong plugs in there ( got the genuine "R" Type's now to put in ), other thoughts were Throttle position sensor or the throttle body etc.

Any thoughts or similar experiences ?

Many thanks !

Throttle bodies dont tend to be an issue. Early models suffer from timing chain stretch which usually give poor starting running issues. The only real way of telling is to remove the upper timing cover and checking the protrusion of the timing chain adjuster. 9mm is about he max it should be out. Is the engine light on? You can buy an OBD-II reader on ebay for £25 to read any fault codes and clear them.

Back