New owner and already dead car

hi all, i just bought a micra N reg (k11 i guess) last week, it was fine. today on the motorway doing about 60ish, the engine check light came on then the car died.

recovery man, said the cambelt snaped! yet i thought it was a chain and he said he felt it a bit loose, yet all i saw him do is open the oil bit and check there.

Anyway being very angry i didnt want to argue with him, now the car is parked by the house i checked and all i can see is 2 belts and both them are perfectly fine.

where is this chain belt?
is there anything i can check?
checked the fuses.

i really hope someone can shed some light, the way i feel is to dump itgrr

If its a K11 and he say's the cambelt has snapped then he needs his head seeing to. They are a chain and are quite rare to give out. How many miles had the car done?

If its a K11 and he say's the cambelt has snapped then he needs his head seeing to. They are a chain and are quite rare to give out. How many miles had the car done?

exactly what i thought. it's an N reg, done 87k. seems like it had a service done not long ago with halfords parts.

i got somebody coming on monday to do diags on it, he seems to think it could be one of the sensore and not the chain.

would it make a noise if it was the belt?

sorry for so many dumb questions but i live isolated and not having a car means i am confined to the house and it aint ideal.:(

Well, from the oil filler cap, you can see the timing chain, so...

oh didnt know that. just went to check and i could feel it with my finger being loose, so i guess he was correct and i am in deep sh**:(

It will have a little play in the chain near the top. If its snapped youd know about it as itd have more than a little play...easiest way to find out is to take the cam cover off and have a spy.

thanks for the replies. i really am confused now i didnt hear any banging or anything of the sort, just the light saying check and then car died.

i will see if i can open the top bit and see if the chain deffinately snaped or not, if its easy to do that.

cheers

It could be the fuel pump fuse or fuse holder.

There is a fuse box in front of the battery behind the headlight. These are very prone to getting damp and corroding.

The legs had separated from the fuse in our P reg Micra. It would start then stop after a few seconds when the vibration of the engine made the fuse lose contact with the legs.
The engine check light would then come on.

i checked the fuse for the fuel pump but not the others within the engine bay. will do tomorrow.
as for fuel, yes it has got a fair bit

Take of the oil filler cap and turn the engine over. If the cam chain has snapped they wont move. No point in worrying about any damage as if it has snapped its already done, if they do move your fine and its something else.

deff the cambelt, it's not turning so i will just sell it to them people who buy them for spares and repairs.or anybody maybe from bristol wants it as spares or to repair? i need a car desperately and cant have this thing parked here for long. it honestly is immaculate inside, and the body work isnt bad at all. so it has got a lots of parts that am sure can be used. anyone want to give me an idea what to ask for it or just scrap it?

cheers

Was this a private sale or from a trader? If you bought from the latter, you can reject it and ask for your money back or get the trader to repair it at his cost and to your satifaction (Y)

Was this a private sale or from a trader? If you bought from the latter, you can reject it and ask for your money back or get the trader to repair it at his cost and to your satifaction (Y)

no, it was a private sale, last weekend:( sure i wont be trusting much from now on.

to be fair, if i was selling a car on 87k i wouldn't expect the cam chain to go, seeing as my girlfriends mum's is up to 138k now. so its not really their fault.

to be fair, if i was selling a car on 87k i wouldn't expect the cam chain to go, seeing as my girlfriends mum's is up to 138k now. so its not really their fault.

no its fair if put like that, but to be honest i didnt know the belt was a chain so i asked him and he confirmed the belt was replaced 10k ago and serviced regularly. anyway no point now really, lesson learned.

any takers for the car?

Back