New K11 - worth doing anything to underbody ?

I've just bought a new, well to me of course, K11 - 1999 - and unlike any of my cars it has a clean underbody, it may have been pressure sprayed, but as soon as I drive it any distance hereabouts it will become covered with mud and other delights of country life (e.g. from the dairy farm nearby) and so I did wonder whether it would be worth applying anything to the underbody - on the basis that a couple of hours and a few pounds may give it some additional protection and longer life. Sadly, although probably because of accidents, my previous two cars (Almera and then Micra - although I still have the latter) have had problems with rust.
What do you think- worthwhile or not and if so what should I use ?

Definately do with waxoyl .... rear arches ..... just make sure you get all the muck out of the lip before ......... along the sills and that front cross member.... i filled mine up with waxoyl 7 years ago and it had been welded and was beginning to rust again .... still solid .... also did over the brake and fuel lines and they are perfect 7 years on .... not bad for a 1995 motor..... Arches and Sills need to be done yearly as it wears off ............. well worth the effort !

Cheapest i found it was on fleabay ...

Thanks - I will do it then. I must admit that in the past I have used a lot of underseal but that was on Minis etc. when you had to do everything possible to keep the metal together; I just wondered whether nowadays it was felt unnecessary.
One point, however - I'm almost surprised you say cover fuel and brake lines, I have thought the MOT tester would have liked to have seen them clean to assess the rust etc.

I just painted the waxoyl over the lines running down the underneath of the car ..also where the metal pipes come up to the hoses on the wheels ....... and use a little copperease on the union connections on the hoses also ...... . never been commented on in 7 years of MOTs..... and also remember you only need a little white spirit etc to wipe them down if they think they are suspect .... but with waxoyl on they are likely to last forever. That said i wasnt trying to hide anything ... just preserve all as rust free as poss...... if your lines look suspect ... do the clever thing and get them looked at before you cover in wax :)

If i had used that shultz stuff that forms a skin i think the MOTer may have been suspicious..... although i refuse to use that as it cracks and actually holds water within it ..... great for a dealer selling a rusting car ... rubbish for an owner trying to keep his Micra on the road ...
BTW treat the Micra just like a mini ... they are not as bad but they are prone to rust on inner rear arch/sills, front crossmember and axle ..... and a little waxoyl will hold this at bay ..... well it has done on mine :)

Is your micra sunroof model? If yes then you need to do reroute these sunroof drain pipes after you put waxoyl in underneath.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...If i had used that shultz stuff that forms a skin i think the MOTer may have been suspicious..... although i refuse to use that as it cracks and actually holds water within it
Ah... you use the real Waxoyl sprayable stuff as in http://waxoyl.com/en/index.php?Bereiche:Korrosionsschutz not the "Hammerite Underbody Seal with added Waxoyl" ? It's the latter that I have used before, and other similar, and yes, it is somewhat thick and obscuring stuff.
But you've just painted on the Waxoyl by the sounds of it ? I did wonder about the sprayers but I suspect that with only occasional use they may be a pain - forever cleaning them when you use them no matter how careful you were the previous time.

I use the Hammerite with waxoyl and paint it on .... i had a sprayer years ago but it was a pain to keep clean after the first use.
Its a nasty dirty horrible job .... have a bottle of white spirit to clean up with afterwards ... but its well worth it .. and indeed if an MOTer wants to check he only needs to give the pipes a wipe with white spirit ...
I use black as its easier to see where you have coated ... but i guess you could use the clear also ...
If your doing it on a cool day .... stand the tin in hot water for 20 mins before hand and its goes lovely and runny ... just right to paint on.......

If you used Hammerite PAINT i also think the MOTer would be suspicious .... where as someone who has bothered to treat the car with waxoyl is likely to have cared for the car ...

I've never liked the wetness of Waxoyl. It's good for quick application but I've seen it pick up a lot of crap from the roads like grass and stones. If you have the time and the tools, something like Epoxy Mastic is probably the best bet, but you'll want to take off the rear beam for access.

Back