NCVT

I have bought a 1996 K11 1.3 NCVT on 40k - the car drives well apart from a few small things with the NCVT. The gears are a bit stiff to go from reverse to drive and vice versa. At low speeds the car lurches sometimes as if the cvt is slipping and the revs drop then it catches again. Its when slowing and crawling eg 5-10mph. If slowing from eg 30mph down to zero it shifts down ok.
Is this normal-ish behaviour? - I've never driven a new one so have nothing to gauge it against - or should I be eg replacing the electromagnetic brushes for starters and looking at replacing the powder etc and giving it a mini-overhaul. Or will I just end up with something just the same?
Just how bad are the cvt even when brand new?

I looked at the fluid and it seemed nice and clean - I guess no harm in changing it. Anyone found a particular type/brand work best?

Welcome you got a decent lower miler there, my 2 preface lift similar mileage, what you describe at the low speed is normal, both my K11 CVT's do that, it's like a cog change, once past 5-10 mph it will feel like a change up. The gear lever on these is always a bit stiff and notchy IMHO.

Thanks - it's a fair judder when it happens but if its fairly normal then I can live with it. It feels like it's going to cut out but it hasnt so far

I found that using Ds gear when wanting to crawl at less than 10mph is best and then just moving it to D at 15mph+.

Not sure what the problem with the box is but it sounds like the clutch is locking/unlocking a little harshly.

Also be sure not to use CVT fluid, it's Dex II+

Last edited:
Back