NCVT light on - manual?

Hello.

I bought a cheap micra a few weeks ago. When I was insuring it etc it confused me a bit because online id's of the car kept saying it was automatic!? Mine is manual gearbox.

Anyhoo.. yesterday was driving fast for a while and the NCVT light came on - I read it's something to do with automatic transmission!?

What could the problem be do you think? What should I do?

Btw.. I have little or no clue when it comes to car mechanics etc.

Thankew in advance. :grinning:

Seems to me that the car has been converted from automatic to manual at some point, not too sure what the ncvt light means but yes it is to do with automatic transmission

Haha, until your half way down the road and she conks out for good :p

I looked around and found this:
http://www.micra.org.uk/threads/12610-what-does-NCVT-mean

People are saying the rubber band is gone.

I think NCVT acts like 1 gear, but it actually has to do a change at one point so you may only be operating with half gears perhaps or something like this.

I will go through the article and try shed some more light on this.

Although if theres a manual light, is there anything that would let you change gear?

(Novice here trying to be helpful :p )

Cheers
MrMigs

Thanks for replies.

Well. I've ignored it and no problem so far. If I need diagnostic check for something else then I will ask them to check ncvt light then.

Will update if anything arises.

Don't think I've had a problem related to ncvt light I think. It's still on!

Car still seems to run ok.. (apart from what seems like erratic jerky fuelling occassionally..) but..

last couple of weeks a strange whirring type sound has started. It seems to be when I rev or turn the wheel. (It's got power steering btw.)

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wVjXpZSFK4

What d'yout think that is? fwn

Mate, someone's had enough of the AutoBox, it probably broke. They sold it to you after getting a manual fitted quickly. The light coming on would indicate a fault, even though you know there isn't one cos' you know what gear you're in and have ultimate control.

Now, if it's bothering you, then start looking at ECU. The ECU might be an automatic one which would make the light come on I think, although, it'd also mean that weird things would happen when you start and so on. But monitor it. The whining noise is probably the PAS or alternator. One of them might be on the way out, but it's nothing horrific. If it's not causing a problem, then it's not a problem :)

Stu.

Oh, only just seen the update, that noise sounds like it'l be something running inside the auxilliary belts (Water Pump, Alternator, is anything relating to PAS in their?)

The tempo is exactly the same as my tweeting noise on my car (But not loud like that but definately at the same pace if you get me.) And i think thats down to what drives the pulleys, (And why i think when you put your foot down the tempo of the sound increases with it.)

PAS normally makes more noise if theres something wrong and you use it i think but dont quote me on that :p

Back