N14 Caliper Spacing?

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
I have just aquired some N14 Pulsar Front Brake Calipers and I was wondering if they are a true direct bolt on modification or if dodgy washers need to be used to centralise the caliper over the disc rotor?

I seem to recall that Evade had some dramas with the caliper dragging on the brake rotor.

I realise that I need to buy some N14 Brake rotors too. Looking to get slotted ones from RDA most likely.

Also I will be buying a new set of Ferodo Target brake pads to suit. Follow this with a good bleed and hey presto I will feel much happier with the capabilities of my car.

Please let me know if this is the case or not.

CMF_Dark Side

» CMF Member
I may be wrong but from memory Hack was fitted with N13 front discs and rotors and was a straight bolt on. Perfect.
When I did White Knight was not an exact fit. Bought from wreckers so think was from a later model (N14) and was not exact swap and had to use washers.
Maybe some diff between N13/N14 front discs?

cisco

» CMF Member
The N14 1.6 brakes are a direct bolt on - no dodgy washers needed.

The N14 2.0 SSS/GTiR brakes need some tiny 1mm washers do they centre properly. Its still not dodgy though, my car was happily engineered with those on there. Its just annoying to have to put the washers on every time you are playing with your brakes :(

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
mine fit on fine with the stock rotors..but when i bought the slotted ones they dragged a bit. im assuming the stock ones had been machined a few times beforehand and cleared ok..i used some 1-2mm washers to space it out a bit

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Thanks to all for your great info. I guess I'll have to wait and see :p

I'll have to check what the part number is on the calipers. I cant quite recall off the top of my head and the parts are at my mate's place with the car.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Okay here's the plan. I have confirmed that the calipers are AD18V stamped ones.
My mate Jason is hooked up in the parts supply area around here and is sourcing me some RDA slotted rotors from a N14 Pulsar 1.6

I will also be fitting the new calipers with Ferodo Target Pads. I will also attempt to correct any brake bias problems with QFM pads fitted to the rear.

Once again thanks for the info about the washers. I am not super worried about the fitting of them anymore.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh use either stainless steel or high tensile washers.

NOT mild steel/galvanised items.

The stainless steel washers tend to be a bit bent and will flatten out a bit, so it pays to check the torque on the caliper mounts regularly afterwards.

The high tensile washers are pretty good but you usually have a bit of trouble finding them in the right thickness for the application. I found the average high tensile washer was around .3 mm wider than the same size in stainless.

It really doesn't matter too much if the caliper isnt perfectly centred over the rotor - they're sliding calipers so they'll pretty much slide into the position you need.

Cheers

Back