my pics

CMF_shalon

» CMF Member

CMF_Hugh

» CMF Member
Ah, I've just seen something on that page which might be a problem...

"PowerToys only work with U.S. English regional settings"

Paint.NET will do it, but you have to have the .Net framework installed, and I'm sure there's a simpler solution anyway, I just can't think of it right now.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Ordinarily to plebs I'd suggest the image resize powertoy like you have Hugh, but the other way in the event that for some reason they can't use the powertoy, I'd suggest they do the following:

(Assuming you're using Windows 2000 or later - Previous versions from memory didn't have JPEG support)

• Open up Paint (Should be Start/Windows Logo -> Programs -> Accessories -> Paint)
  • Go to File -> Open, then locate the image you're after.
  • Once opened, go to Image -> Resize and Skew
  • Now here's where you need to get imaginative - since you're scaling down an image from being huge, you're going to want to resize it to a low percentage, though it depends on how large the image is originally. You must change both of the 'Resize' percentages together otherwise you'll end up stretching your image (and that looks really bad)
  • Try 50% of the original size to start with, but you may need as low as 30% to get something small enough to make it acceptable for here. Use the 'undo' function if it's not small enough (CTRL+Z or Edit -> Undo), and start from the original size if it's not small enough yet.
  • Once you've got the size to under 800 pixels wide (you can check using Image -> Attributes) you can then save it by going to File -> Save As then give it a new name so you don't overwrite your high quality original.

Paint has pretty strong (read '****') JPEG compression so don't be surprised if the end result doesn't end up looking completely perfect.

Hope that helps.

---dens

Back