My new Micra has a problem! :(

M

MichaelD

:( :( I've had it two days - and the timing chain was as quiet as anything for those two days. I turn it on today after popping to the supermarket and its all noisey. It's not REALLY noisey, but it's noticable. Seems to have come from no where. My question is - i live in Leeds and have no idea on the costs of getting it replaced. If I don't get it replaced - it won't cause damage right? It'll just be a bit noisy? It sucks - i'm going to speak to the dealer I got it from tomorrow, but some how I doubt his warrenty covers this :-( How much do you think it'll cost to get replaced (it's clearly going to be too big a job for someone like me to do)?

Thanks guys - and after i've given the car a good wash i'm going to take some pics to share with you all.

Oh, and its a Micra L (95) Hollywood.

is it like a squeaking? if so, i think that means its too tight lol, dont quote me on it tho, some on elese will tell you better, thats my diagnoisis tho :)

R05_Micra said:
is it like a squeaking? if so, i think that means its too tight lol, dont quote me on it tho, some on elese will tell you better, thats my diagnoisis tho :)

nope, its definately not squeaking. it's cluttery (if thats a word!?). just "noisey". any one?

Try locating the noise, if it definately is the timing chain then it is not a mental worry, actually cheaper to get a 2nd hand engine and fit it yourself than get a Nissan dealer to change it.
I have not heard of many chains snapping and a LOT of the cars on here have quite noisy chains, could just be something come loose in theengine bay..

The dealers 1 month guarentee covers pretty much everything he said - unless it's something i've done - like the windows or something lol. What do you guys think the chances are of getting this sorted under the warrenty? Any tips / suggestions on what to say to him would be gladly welcomed...

MichaelD said:
The dealers 1 month guarentee covers pretty much everything he said - unless it's something i've done - like the windows or something lol. What do you guys think the chances are of getting this sorted under the warrenty? Any tips / suggestions on what to say to him would be gladly welcomed...
Depends on the dealer. My dad bought a Nova from a garage down the road with a 1 month guarantee and he got a new cylinder head gasket and half an exhuast on that. If u're going to try to get it looked at under the warranty then do it asap.

Take it back and ask them to fix it, if they say "we only break it if its broken" tell them the tensioners have gone - that is technically BROKEN.
If you fancied im sure me and goldstar could swap your engine for you for some ££ in the space of a day if you brought it to us (manchester about 35 mins away) ;)

haha legendary. where / how would I purchase a new engine? rough costs? I spoke to the garage - they said bring it back. unfortunately i am working today so it'll have to be money. I hope they cover it. the noise is really loud or anything - it just sounds unhealthy...

Some more info - it sounds "chuggy". Chug chug chug chug. In fact, it kinda sounds like a diesel engine! noticable after starting engine, and after revving and then letting it come down off the rev and back to idle

Yep its the timing chain, an engine without gearbox will be the better side of £100 quid.. but that isnt a new one... thats a used one from a scrapyard...

What would be the downside of just having a noisy timing chain? Would it actually damage the car or anything?

I could hear my name in here!
I'm cool with another long day if Dusk is + 1 as 3 man team works good, higher a crane and get a working engine am sure we could sort something

im going to get at the dealer at 9am tomorrow morning. I will state that a number of garages have told me in the timing chain, and it should be replaced immediately. wish me luck!

Well guys - they're going to fix it. They said that i need new tensioners and they're ordering them in. should be in wednesday and fixed the same day.

well they've decided they wont cover it. in fact, turns out they didnt even sign a warrenty. was thinking about taking action through trading standards but after complaining they're going to cover the costs of labour if i pay for the chain+tensioners kit (£88). Sucks really but i guess that in a way I know that the chain is unlikely to go again for a while ;)

MichaelD said:
well they've decided they wont cover it. in fact, turns out they didn't even sign a warranty. was thinking about taking action through trading standards but after complaining they're going to cover the costs of labour if i pay for the chain+tensioners kit (£88). Sucks really but i guess that in a way I know that the chain is unlikely to go again for a while ;)

Before agreeing to anything call trading standards as the goods they sold were not fit for purpose and they will tell your exact rights.

They can have the car back or pay up in full BUT you have to take it back and refuse to take it back until sorted

theres a law that states that every car sold through a dealer or garage has to have a warranty for a period of time i think its 12 months but look it up to be sure,

you can take it back and say you want your money back since you have had it for 2 days!

look up the sales or goods act that will tell you most things

Back