MSC hacked and slashed...

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Sigh..

I'd be cracking it at the hosting provider if they didn't keep daily backups and had them stored off-site. Seriously, it's not that hard. Even if they just backed up the database of the board alone it wouldn't be that bad. They could do it themselves once a week and they'd be better off than they are now.

Brute force attack? or someone just forgot to update vBulletin and left themselves open to some exploit... <a href=http://www.google.com.au/search?q=turkish hacker phpbb>like these</a>. That said, it does seriously **** me when people deface boards. In a way doing that is worse than simple defacement if they really did just wipe everything.

Maybe they'll think about a better backup plan now (insert rolleyes smiley here).

Edit: Oh, and while you can't guarantee people aren't going to attack this forum, the chances are greatly reduced by the fact that it's a custom built board. Essentially it means that people looking to take advantage of exploits on the common systems (vBulletin, Invision, phpBB, etc.) won't have any luck here. It's always a good idea to do regular backups anyway, no matter how secure the system might be.

What do you do in IT, littlebear?

---dens

smidge

» CMF Member
yeah i was a bit pissed cause it basically wiped out all my k10 superturbo questions that had useful pics and answers from the two or three other helpful members there with plenty of ST knowledge

fine for me, my problems are solved, but makes it a bit **** for others that wanted to use it

i set up my own ST site anyway, so i'll copy some of the info over there

what sucks the most is they make you pay for a membership and access to the DIY stuff you only need early on, and don't keep a backup any more recent than 3 months ago; if it was a free site i'd say ah well too bad but its like $25au a year to be a member!

... bruteforce attack just means they guessed the password anyway doesn't it?

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"club money spent on the jae meet, (which many of us can,t attend) would be far better spent on a weekly backup imo

frank

What the hell? You're paying for a service to a website but instead of them spending the money on what you're paying for they're spending it on events for themselves? Yeah that makes sense.

---dens

CMF_ronin_kid

» CMF Member
Kev, MSC Chairman

**snip** ...Our new host was just in the process of implementing a backup system when the hack took place so we have lost all data reaching as far back as June.... **snip** ...The MSC forums will now be backed up on a weekly basis to avoid any similiar situations to this... **snip**

i guess the server move may have left the site vaunerable, but i must say i agree with Frank and Dens sentiments...

at least the site back up and running though.....

Back