modifiy the throttle spindle

micra_pete

Ex. Club Member
right, its not an exact step by step, and i'll have to take some "down throttle" pictures to show it on my car as you can't see the finished result here as i just did a quick one last night to show how its done with a spare spindle i have.

also this modification can really ######## up your car if not done carefully and safely!

1. Remove the air cleaner
2. disconnect the wiring from the throttle pot, FCID, AFM and aux air control (all connectors)
3.un-hook the inner cable from the throttle cam, loosen the cable lock-nut and free it from its mounting.
4. disconnect all the pipes from the t/b, make a note of what goes where!
5. release pressure in the cooling system by un-screwing the rad cap.
6. release the clips for the coolant pipes, have something ready to plug the coolant pipes, I find a couple of suitable large screws work well.
7. pull the coolant pipes from the t/b, aim them up toward the air and work quickly to keep fluid loss low.
8. unscrew the four bolts at each corner of the t/b and remove, taking care to enure NOTHING drops into the inlet manifold, your ######ed if it does.
9. have a look at how the throttle mechanism works
10. un-screw and release what you need to get the mechanism off.
11. un-screw the two screws from the butterfly valve, these may not come out and will need drilling out, BE CAREFUL, use a thin drill bit to release pressure and try to unscrew again.
- note, you must protect the MAF, if any swarf gets onto it, it wonÂ’t work! Our MAFs are temperamental as they are! And remove the butterfly, noting what side the lettering is on,
12. remove the spindle from the t/b this may require a little tapping (or a firm bang)
13. it will look something like this, this is normal

IMGP0339.jpg

IMGP0346.jpg

IMGP0347.jpg

14. now get a hacksaw and remove the part of the spindle with no thread, this may sound obvious, but again your ######ed if you cut the wrong side.

IMGP0350.jpg

15. neaten up the edges, don’t take too much off, use your common sense.
16. get yourself some countersunk screws and countersink them into the butterfly valve. Make things neat and tidy on both sides
17. check things fit together okay.
18. rebuild the throttle body, get the throttle mechanism back together and re-fit the valve, apply some thread-lock, you do not want it falling off.
19. re-fit the throttle body, a new gasket must be used.
20. spend a long time adjusting the idle, you have two idle screws, you should be able to figure these out, if you have just done this.

not totally related to this, but my is really jerky at low speeds with small amounts of throttle, would that be due to the build up dirty/grease/whatever around the butterfly?

shouldnt all these micra pete posts be sticky or in a guides section? theres load of info floating around on the forum everywhere.

I actually did sticky them all at first, but they started to take up most of the forum space. I'm trying to think of another solution, if anyone has suggestions theyre welcome as I agree, there has been a LOT of useful information posted up in the past 24 hours here :)

nope, please keep the guides on the msc, don't copy them elsewhere.

i'd let them blend in, people can use the search function

Back