MicraSquirt - Heads up.

micracharge

Now with added V6...
So I did what I had intended originally, I made a loom for the CG13, and fired up Little Rocky on the budget DIY management system "MegaSquirt-II". I know that it runs on all of the standard sensors - but that wasnt good enough, so the silence from my direction lately is working on something that might be of broader use to the Micra community... Project MicraSquirt!

MicraSquirt is the final piece of the puzzle that will make this system useful to potential Micra tuners. Making a complete engine harness is a pain in the backside, its time consuming and difficult to do nicely. So nearing completion now is an adapter harness that allows the MegaSquirt to plug directly into the standard Micra ECU connector - making it a near-PnP MAP sensor based system.

This weekend I will get onto the final parts of the loom and all being well it "should" fire up on the plug'n'play loom shortly... Once this theory is proven to work, I will likely offer these looms and possibly pre-built MegaSquirt units to drop onto the cars. Keep eyes peeled :)

Got a couple of questions I'd quite like to buzz past you actually Ed, you mind if I drop you a PM with them? About ISC and a couple of other quirky Nissan bits!

So if used in closed loop, for a bas map you know just so that i can have it running to make sure it all works and have something to drive to the tuners to would that be ok on megasuirt?

Each unit will have a basic micra compatible map in it (assuming all goes to plan) which will allow the car to drive - but it will not be suitable for any kind of loading, so yes you could "trickle" the car along to your favored tuner.

Not yet I'm affraid, just working out what hardware the loom needs, I think its going to require atleast one more relay (the ECCS box in a Nissan controls its own main power feeds) and a few other bits including an airtemp sensor. The megasquirt itself works out about £160 right now from the US, plus my time to build it and make the loom - all in it will work out very cost effective, given that its MAP based (or Alpha-N for all you peeps that want to go throttle bodies but cannot get anything to run it...)

Just as a random picture, heres my MegaSquirt board running bench tests, the MS main unit is on the right, its normally in an anodized black case but it was open so I could test the high-current PWM idle circuit, the board on the left which is plugged into the main connector is a "MegaStim" - an electronic engine that simulates a real engine and allows testing of all of the functions of the MS, on the bench...

ms2_stim.jpg

im guessing theres more chance of it working on a flying pig then on a coilpack micra :(

good work tho will be useful for alot of ppl!

all the sensors are different plus the ecu would need to control the ignition of each individual pack not just one dizzy... so the wiring would all be different. :( ed/pete probs have more of an idea then me tho

so this would be able to run a throttle body setup then?....

hmmm.... the possibilities..

cos the main reason i havent allready gone with throttle bodies is the cost of the ECU, i would have to have an Omex (or simalar) stand alone...

this could have me running GSXR 750 throttle bodies and about 150bhp with the head and cams off racworx..lol

mmm

It would indeed run throttle bodies no problem at all. Using "Alpha-N" mapping, where the fuel and ignition tables are rpm vs. throttle position, rather than rpm vs. MAP or MAF Load.

It would easily be half the price of Omex, and is totally open source, the community develops new code and features pretty regularly :)

Well the system is proven as working already on a stand alone loom made to suit the engine - it comes down to if you want a MicraSquirt (a plug in box or adapter loom) or if you want to modify your existing Micra loom to take the Megasquirt connector...?

Its all feasible though - and I know it runs the car :)

so this would be able to run a throttle body setup then?....

hmmm.... the possibilities..

cos the main reason i havent allready gone with throttle bodies is the cost of the ECU, i would have to have an Omex (or simalar) stand alone...

this could have me running GSXR 750 throttle bodies and about 150bhp with the head and cams off racworx..lol

mmm

750's (especially the early ones) are pretty much too big if you want driveability - get some K4> 650s and you will be laughing - even better if you can work out how to get the additional throttleplate working right

i have had a look at gsxr 600 k6's and they seam to be very short (horsepower) and have the throttle possition sensors in place and injectors too...

but if by too big do you mean fuel delivery? cos wont a fuel pressure regulator and the correct settings on the ecu sort this out?

hi any update on this? also do you know if the original micra ecu ever works in closed loop operation? and the voltages across the maf on load and off load if you know. Just researching a few different options and see how they compare to the megasquirt.

i have had a look at gsxr 600 k6's and they seam to be very short (horsepower) and have the throttle possition sensors in place and injectors too...

but if by too big do you mean fuel delivery? cos wont a fuel pressure regulator and the correct settings on the ecu sort this out?

Didn't even see this reply, by too big, I mean the diameter of the ports/butterflies is larger than I would want for the Micra - you will have poor performance on part throttle and will also be detrimental to response (IIRC - my head is full of law stuff ATM) I've done a bit of research on the secondary throttle plates, but not dug too deep, although I am certain that it would be possible to create an interface to get the mira ECU talking to the one for the secondary plates.

You serious about fitting ITB's?

fairly...... i have thrown out th idea of turbo'd micra after the "heat" produced with such an install.... and that it all needs to be fitted together, whereas N/A can be fitted in different stages...

i would have baught some allready if my e-manage could control them...

The loom is about half made right now, progress not as fast as I would have liked due to work, personal commitments, and a Nintendo Wii. But it is still on the boil :)

The coil pack micra engine using the bosch monotronic ecu is well used amongst other manufactuers including vw family, porsche, volvo and a number of others as far as i have researched, there will be a piggy back ecu for it you just gotta look in the right places. Or spend the extra cash and get a omex, i hear ed recomends them.
Although googles not coming up with anything.

Finally an end is in sight, a few more last minute issues to undertake and then all being well a week or so should see a fire up - I want to run on a totally bog standard car (electronically speaking) to ensure that its a definate "PnP" unit, if it all works out, adapter looms and/or complete built MegaSquirt kits will be available :) Final details will be announced shortly :)

Finally an end is in sight, a few more last minute issues to undertake and then all being well a week or so should see a fire up - I want to run on a totally bog standard car (electronically speaking) to ensure that its a definate "PnP" unit, if it all works out, adapter looms and/or complete built MegaSquirt kits will be available :) Final details will be announced shortly :)
Bring it to JAE! ;)

then a kit to run GSXR throttle bodies too.....lol

I can already make you one of those, but its another loom at the moment, whereas this "should" be a plug-in to the standard ECU connector kind of affair :) My stand alone development loom could be made available though! :laugh:

Update!

Progress so far - I decided the best thing to do was house the relay and fuse inside a case, and what better case than the standard Micra ECU housing - made a couple of standoffs for the ECU connector, and there we have the beginning of a useable "MicraSquirt PnP" harness adapter :)

Should be on Rocky fairly soon, few more wires to go yet (say 4 or so) and then onto the car for some inital testing. Long old road this! :grinning:

micrasquirt.jpg

as i said before, i'm definately interested in one of these, and i have a spare ecu for you to use for mine:).
keep us updated

Hey Dan, great work with that loom m8, if all goes well would definatly be interested in one for my Marcos, it would make the whole process a damn sight easier, do you have any ideas as to what it would cost for just a PnP loom?

Cheers

Phil :laugh:

Standard Nissan ECCS main power supply is actually turned on by the ECCS box itself, in order to fool this output into coming on that relay is activated by an ignition live, the relay then grounds the ECCS main power trigger and full ECCS power is delivered to the Megasquirt :)

Well I'm no longer on it now as Rocky has gone the way of the four winds, so Antony if you do want a Megasquirt system you'll be buying a standalone loom (which I already have made)...

Its basically ready when you are :)

Hi "micracharge".......sorry to hear about ur k11!!!!

the "standalone loom" ur talking about, is that just the wiring with or without megasquirt????

any other mods required on the loom ur selling to get it operational?

my apologies for this random post

cheers

right then as napster sad. with the loom....what else is needed? im not sure what you have done or what it is even..lol

does it need mapping? is it a ready built ecu?.... is it a replacement or a piggy back??

Back