Micra starting problem

My sister has a Micra which is experiencing problems starting. The engine just clicks away, and can take up to 20 minutes before it catches and starts.
The car has been back to the Nissan dealership, and a local mechanic's shop, neither of which can find a problem.
The car is about 10 years old. She will be replacing it this year anyway, but wants to wait until the new reg comes out, or there are a few more deals on offer.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Meg.

Does it click. Or does it try and turn over for this 20 mins?
If its clicking. Then suddenly starts turning over I'd say its a wiring issue. Bad earth or something like that.
If the battery was duff then it wouldn't turn over and start

There is a switch to the right of the steering wheel. To start the vehicle it needs to be fully turned towards the front of the car. The switch will only turn about 10 degrees in then sticks. It sorts itself out eventually. between 10 & 15 minutes, but is now happening about 50% of the time.

Ah so your ignition barrel is to blame?
It was covered not so long ago.
You need to lubricate the barrel with graphit powder iirc :)

Can you direct me where to find the link please?
And can this be done DIY, or will it need to go back to the garage?
Thanks,
Meg.

You can do it for yourself.
I wouldn't know where to look personally but I do know @enuo helped resolved the issue

Thanks.
Rang local locksmith, he said not to use graphite powder, Went round and bought some DT85, squirted it in. Instant result! switch released, car started. Sister sent off with instructions to buy new car.
Many thanks for your help, it saved her spending a couple of hundred quid unnecessarily.
Suprised the Nissan dealership did not know about it if its a common fault tho.................
Meg.

Thanks.
Rang local locksmith, he said not to use graphite powder, Went round and bought some DT85, squirted it in. Instant result! switch released, car started. Sister sent off with instructions to buy new car.
Many thanks for your help, it saved her spending a couple of hundred quid unnecessarily.
Suprised the Nissan dealership did not know about it if its a common fault tho.................
Meg.
You're welcome. Glad we could help :)

Think @Jen319 had the same problem too?

It was my mums 2003 "Key less entry" SVE ;)
the barrel gets jammed and even if you can manage to unlock the steering it loves to jam up for ages...
mum's is actually still doing it a bit...but no where near as bad as it was...need to have another look at it methinks

Thanks.
...Rang local locksmith, he said not to use graphite powder, Went round and bought some DT85, squirted it in. Instant result! switch released, car started...

Might have to try that instead ;)
...glad you got it sorted ^_^

Edit:... DM90?....can't find DT85... o_O

possibly gt85? that's a degreaser

GT85.jpg

Back