Micra owners with 14" rims - what tyres are you using and where did you get them?

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
185/60 Falcon ze326. Not a really great tyre, more for mum & pops to go to the shops. There having an interesting time with the turbo. However having said that they are reasonable price & readily avaliable. Alittle skatty in the wet though (going to be alittle scary on boost).

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
185 / 50 / r14 yoko's havent lost any power. got 0-60 in 14.23 seconds and its totally standard. mate has 60's and is slightly slower but have to watch pot holes with 50's. Oh YEA GOT THEM IN HALFORDS with the alloys

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Have tracked down some falken ze512 in 185/55R14.

They're the last few in the country though. Bugger! Oh well, I'll just have to get myself more power and go to 60 series... Or hope a new car comes out with the 185/55r14 as the standard size haha.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Wow so you musnt be able to change the rolling diameter or width whatsoever?

Such a shame. Especially because the SP Sport 2000 is the new definition of average.

CMF_Hunter

» CMF Member
Hi all !
I'm running Dunlop Le Mans LM 702 in 175/60 x 14 (came with car) and I'm quite impressed, never been a huge Dunlop fan but these work well wet or dry ! Correct Inflation is so crucial !
I feel the extra diameter actually helps the micra, especially on the freeway, taller ratios = better economy, less engine wear !
As for legality you know it's half a bee's thingy out of "legal" and if I sit on 95 Km/hr ... sweet! (not that I do ! ;})

Anyway !
Hoo Roo !
Andrew

CMF_Reichard TUV

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

"Wow so you musnt be able to change the rolling diameter or width whatsoever?<BR><BR>Such a shame. Especially because the SP Sport 2000 is the new definition of average.
In 14" .... I can fit 155/70R13, 175/60R13 or 195/45R15 also

CMF_chippo

» CMF Member
I recently just got some 14"x6" CSA mags of a GTiR and I roughly want the same rolling diameter as the 13" steelies, which I guess is about 50 or 55 but what about width? I want it as slim as possible or am I stuck with 185? Is there such thing as a 175/50R14 or 175/55R14?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yep the only legal option for 14" rims on a micra in australia are 195/45R14, 185/55R14.

There's no othr sizes legal and in australia. In 185/55R14 the only manufacturer who still brings them in is Nexen. If you want the 195/45R14 you better be quick. There's 8 of them in a warehouse in the form of Falken ZE-512.

I would avoid the 14" wheels if you want a legal tyre size and stick with 13"s or 15"s where there's heaps of tyres available still. 195/45R15 is quite common now as the VW polo currently comes with these tyres as standard!

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
way cool, thx for the info dudes! altho i'm not sure if they're permitted on 14x6's in singapore, i'll check that out.

alex, i've had the exact same sentiments when deciding on 195/45r14 T1R's, that they'd look really tiny in the wheel arch. wats more is i'm looking for new ht-adjustable coilovers. dunno if at the end of the day, my march'll be kissing the tarmac. hahaha!

also, i've heard some suspicions that my change in specs of rubbers might cause some problems in other parts like driveshaft etc. anyone got any clue?

thx :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Different profile tyres will change the stresses on the whole drivetrain (CV's, suspension, driveshafts, clutch, gearbox and engine). Different rolling diameters and weights also change how effective the brakes are.

The smaller the tyre profile the less stress on the drivetrain. Anything with a rolling diameter over 195/50R15 will cause poor performance, bogging, clutch slipping and possibly shuddering. Also braking performance will be terrible to say the least.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
chilidawg WROTE:

"way cool, thx for the info dudes! altho i'm not sure if they're permitted on 14x6's in singapore, i'll check that out.

alex, i've had the exact same sentiments when deciding on 195/45r14 T1R's, that they'd look really tiny in the wheel arch. wats more is i'm looking for new ht-adjustable coilovers. dunno if at the end of the day, my march'll be kissing the tarmac. hahaha!

also, i've heard some suspicions that my change in specs of rubbers might cause some problems in other parts like driveshaft etc. anyone got any clue?

thx :)

the permitted tyres for wheels data comes from the tyre manufacturers themselves not governments in various countries.if governments have their own rules its because they dont have experts and just say anything different is wrong and not allowed.
you can actually fit with approval a 225/50 tyre on a 6" wheel. but not a 205/45 (6.5" min). its calculated on profile aswel as tyre width, the lower the profile the less wide you can go on narrower wheels.
(i'm not usggesting fitting 225/50 tyres though! reasons above, but giving an example of how they fit on wheels)

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
how embarrasing... thx for pointing that out, polar. there's a 1st for everything, eh? haha

n yom, thx for the tech talk! very useful info.

after all this, i'm putting my hard earned paper on a set o 195/45r14 T1R's fer sure!

only hope they dun get damaged when i strip n re-fit them onto new light-weight rims in the future...

thx again dawgz! ride safe!

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
unless you have a 200+bhp micra it wouldnt lower your top speed. if you can hit the rev limiter in 5th gear then it would lower top speed as you would get to higher rpm for the speed as it shortens your gearing. but i dont think in your case this is a consideration?

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
well, currently with my 185/60r14's, i'm 3,200-3,500rpm at 100-110kmh.

if by rev limiter u mean redlining, then i've never gone that far. tho i dunno whether i'd get electronically cut off if i DID red-line on 5th in the 1st place (am i embarrasing myself yet?).

in any case, i'm too scared to risk it, given that i'm expecting higher rpm's if i change to 195/45r14. but in my country, pickup counts way more than flat out long dist top speeding, so i'm thankful for that (i guess, haha).

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You wont notice any changes on your instruments. You'll still be doing just over 3000rpm to stay at 110km/hr.

BUT the cars actual speed will be different. The gearbox speed sensor cannot compensate for the different sized wheels.

ps: the red line is your friend. :p I'm there at least once a week. :p

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
hahaha, maybe for u dude, but i've yet to soup up my cg10 k11. i'm starting with handling then some respitory aid. engine swap to cg13 is illegal here, n applications for forced induction almost always gets rejected, so...

any suggestions on low profile upgrades that are most likely legal, or at least untraceable? knife-edging maybe? DIY big bore? haha, i'm totally going experimental here, but there ARE some nuts out there (n over here) :p

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Get yourself some CGA3DE internals (crank, rods and pistons).

Bore your CG10 block to appropriate size and rebuilt it as a CG10DE with CGA3DE internals. Will raise capacity to 1348cc. The extra 348cc will feel like you just added another one and half cylinders!! Win!!!

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Or you could just get a 1.3 file the numbers off & restamp it with your old numbers. The chances of it being x-rayed are 1 in a million.

(I would just like to add that this is completely illegal & as such I nor this site endorse such practises.) It just something I have seen done ;)

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
no doubt the re-stamping is a whole lot easier than yom's suggestion, but yom's is still easier to get away with. plus i know some garages here mess ard with internals.

only problem now is actually getting the cga3de internals, yom. cuz we dun have 1.3 marches here. have to be shipped in me thinks.

would it be easier sourcing for cga3de or cg13de internals? anyone ever shipped such big stuff overseas succusfully, or am i about to make history?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
CG13 internals will be easier to find.

But if you're going for such a rebuild, I wouldn't be wasting my time with CG13 internals unless they were stronger than standard. I'd be heading straight to the larger capacity CGA3 stuff. There's a shop in the UK which can send you a CGA3 crank and rods I think.

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
you could probably fit a bike engine and write micra on the top and it would make no difference to a policeman who asked to see under you bonnet, they wouldnt know if it was right or wrong.
i've seen people in a scrapyard come over to a micra and go hey see that 16V.. twin cam... i wonder how they got that in there and from what car etc.. they dont really believe me when i say thats the normal micra engine.

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
first up, lemme apologise for breaking this thread.

continuing on:
rebuilding is already gonna be expensive in terms of workmanship alone. i'll have to clock big time OT at the office to bring in the cga3 parts, let alone getting this party started.

but lemme get this straight - all i gotta do is find some genius to open up the bore n wats left is to swap the cga3 crank+rods? is it that 'simple'? any other parts i need to change for this conversion?

i'd love to get my hands dirty but i know nuts, n finding techies who give a sh*t bout a march is gawn be tough. time to start making some phone calls.

CMF_Micra Nut

» CMF Member
Can a 1.0l be bored out to a 1.3 . Cause they are near enough the same engine. I done it years back to a fiat tipo was a 1.4 and bored it to a 1.6. Worked grand was for rallying cause it was still a 1.4 on the book

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Micra Nut WROTE:

"Can a 1.0l be bored out to a 1.3 . Cause they are near enough the same engine. I done it years back to a fiat tipo was a 1.4 and bored it to a 1.6. Worked grand was for rallying cause it was still a 1.4 on the book

Yeh a fellow on the UK micra forum rebuilt his 1.0L wih 1.3L internals.

Infact I dont even think you have to bore the 1.0L block out to put the 1.3L (1275cc Cg13de) internals inside it - i think its only a stroke difference between the cg10 and cg13. But there's definately a bore difference between the CG13 and the CGA3 (1348cc).

CMF_chilidawg

» CMF Member
so i'm guessing there's suspicion that the cg13 n cga3 simply have longer strokes?

now to find out if there's actually a difference in the sizes of the engine blocks of these 3 variants. cuz it's gawn be $$$ down the drain if the crank n rods dun fit my cg10 block :p

i'm gonna dig up the old archives n c if i find anything.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
the CGA3 block is weaker than the CG13/CG10 block.

The CGA3 internals are also weaker than the standard CG13 internals which are also weaker than the standard CG10 internals (if that makes sense).

I'm debating whether or not it is wise to contiune my search for a CGA3 engine to get the extra 78cc.

Will probably be easier and cheaper to just get a CG13 and strap a GT17 onto the front of it :p

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Yom WROTE:

Will probably be easier and cheaper to just get a CG13 and strap a GT17 onto the front of it :p

Now your talking sense. Turbos make the micra's just alot more fun to drive. Its so much easier to overtake on the highway & you get to keep your fuel economy off-boost.

CMF_chippo

» CMF Member
OK! Here's what I came up with using the Miata.net Tire Size Calculator. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

Tyre choices either side of the original Nissan Micra 155/70/13 rolling diameter.

195 50 14 - Speedo will be 0.6% too slow / 100km/h will actually be 100.6km/h
185 50 14 - Speedo will be 1.2% too fast / 100km/h will actually be 98.8km/h

175 55 14 - Speedo will be 0.2% too slow / 100km/h will actually be 100.2km/h
165 55 14 - Speedo will be 1.8% too fast / 100km/h will actually be 98.2km/h

165 60 14 - Speedo will be 1.2% too slow / 100km/h will actually be 101.2km/h
155 60 14 - Speedo will be 1.0% too fast / 100km/h will actually be 99.0km/h

155 65 14 - Speedo will be 1.8% too slow / 100km/h will actually be 101.8km/h
145 65 14 - Speedo will be 0.6% too fast / 100km/h will actually be 99.4km/h

Best tyre choice is the 175 55 14 if you can find them.

You'll probably want a slower speedo reading to allow for tyre wear, if it's going too fast already it'll only get faster as you wear your tyres down.

Broken down again.

175 55 14 - 0.2% slow
195 50 14 - 0.6% slow
165 60 14 - 1.2% slow
155 65 14 - 1.8% slow

145 65 14 - 0.6% fast
155 60 14 - 1.0% fast
185 50 14 - 1.2% fast
165 55 14 - 1.8% fast

CMF_tiSh

» CMF Member
Hey Guys I Know this might be off the topic but I'm planning to buy new rims and tires...

Im going for 205/45/17" (unlowered springs)

can anyone give some advice or a second opinion if these tires will cause much problems in terms of control, speed & ride.

Though they really look good ang tough, one concern is I might not be able to have a full rack turn because of tires rubbing the inner plastic guards...

Im not really concered about the accuracy of the speedometer and tires rubbing the upper arches coz my friend already tried it and has no problems. he still has smooth ride and doesn't get tires rubbing the upper arches on humps.

thanks. :)

CMF_Polar

» CMF Member
for the micra i think estimated marks out of 10 for using 17" wheels on any tyres would be.
control =0
speed =0
ride =0

0 meaning worst.

but perhaps if you were to get the lightweight oz super legerra 17" wheels, and fitted with these new super low profile 185 or 195 tyres.. it could be quite good. but then you would get a very stiff ride, you would want nice smooth roads to drive on.

CMF_tiSh

» CMF Member
Polar WROTE:

"for the micra i think estimated marks out of 10 for using 17" wheels on any tyres would be.<BR>control =0<BR>speed =0<BR>ride =0<BR><BR>0 meaning worst.<BR><BR>but perhaps if you were to get the lightweight oz super legerra 17" wheels, and fitted with these new super low profile 185 or 195 tyres.. it could be quite good. but then you would get a very stiff ride, you would want nice smooth roads to drive on.<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR>

OMG! Zero rate? Anybody else who has other opinion? Those who actually tried using 205/40/17"..... any other comments?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
He's saying that the car's original dynamics will be lost if you put such large wheels on. In layman's terms the wheels will be too big for the steering and suspension to control properly.

As a result the vehicle will be harder to control, take longer to stop, harder to steer and there'll be quite a strain on performance/gearbox/clutch.

CMF_tiSh

» CMF Member
Okay... How about 15" Rims using 195/45/15 tires? Though it is very hard to find here these kind of tires. Usually, they only sell 195/50 OR 55 :(

i Wish to have a low profile tires.. and at least 16-17" rims.. But If having 17" rims will degrade car performance and control then I will be forced to use 15's... :(

thanks for the tips guys...

Back