Micra Halo Headlights (eBay) and others.

don't buy these, they are LHD and are no good in this country. there is ways of making the same thing but for RHD cars but it involves buying the component parts yourself and putting them together.

I have seen these before and contacted the dealer, they do come in LHD and RHD, but it's only got:

a) Dipped Beam
b) Indicator
c) Side Light.

NO MAIN BEAM! I then asked could they do one with main beam they said yes but £60.oo each light.

But they do look nice though.

I have seen these before and contacted the dealer, they do come in LHD and RHD, but it's only got:

a) Dipped Beam
b) Indicator
c) Side Light.

NO MAIN BEAM! I then asked could they do one with main beam they said yes but £60.oo each light.

But they do look nice though.

i can make you a set for half the price ;)

So how legal, and how likely to work will your cut and shut headlights be ralph? I'm quite interested in learning what you plan and trying it, or getting you to try it :p

So how legal, and how likely to work will your cut and shut headlights be ralph? I'm quite interested in learning what you plan and trying it, or getting you to try it :p

well with the projector lenses they should be 100% legal there may be some issues if you want to have a blue halo or something because obviously its only allowed to be white, and also some people say that HID lighting has to be self leveling, i have heard this argument alot and its all hearsay so it should be fine.

as for the lights themselfs, i had some black lights which i opened up and fitted UK relectors to, then i sealed it all back up. the lights stayed perfectly sealed so they didn't fill with water or anything, but the reflectors were no good, i got them through and MOT and even had the police checking it, but after that the MOT station said that they were not producing a beam pattern at all....

but if all goes well and you don't run into any strict MOT people, these should be 100% legal and work as best as you can possibly get, with them being HID projectors thats state of the art lighting technology there ;) and they should look swish too.

i really so badly want to give this a try because i have some other ideas that i want to do at the same time that will make these even better, but i cant afford to spend any money at the moment.

So the only real problem is getting the reflectors to keep their beam pattern?

Don't you need spray jets for HID lights as well? Or is that something different?

So the only real problem is getting the reflectors to keep their beam pattern?

Don't you need spray jets for HID lights as well? Or is that something different?

its not that simple,

the UK lights are not crystal, the reason for that is because the glass is specially formed so that as light passes through it it is redirected to make up the beam image.

with the Taiwan clear glass lights, the beam image is made by the reflector itself, but being for wrong hand drive cars it points the wrong way and cant be used.

By fitting UK reflectors in the Taiwan lights, the light is pointing the right way but there is nothing to create the beam image because the glass is clear and the reflector is smoothed instead of patterned.

with Projector lenses, the light is passed through a hole that makes the light the right shape and then it is magnified by the projector lens, so with projector lenses everything you need to make up the beam image is already there, so there is no problem.

the problem is that HID lighting is supposidly so bright that if it was ever to pass onto the wrong side of the road and into peoples eyes, their eyes would be vapourised and their bodies carbonised instantainiuosly. there for some people say that they should be self leveling which is where a motor adjusts the angle of the light depending on the angle of the car, such as if there is more weight in the back of the car it changes the beam angle.

you don't need washers or wipers for the lights, but again some people might say you do.

Hmm. Interesting. I have the twizzley thing on my dash for changing the beam level, maybe there's someway of incorporating that?

Hmm. Interesting. I have the twizzley thing on my dash for changing the beam level, maybe there's someway of incorporating that?

that SHOULD be doable, but i am not 100% on that. there is a motor on the back of the lights which replaces a large bolt that you would normally adjust to adjust the beam, but i don't know if you can convert them. but yea that would probably get you round all the VERY picky MOT stations. like the one that gave my an advisory on my van converted micra because it didn't have back seatbelts... its a van!

Back