Micra Collett & How Many Micra's.

This is just idle curiosity really, but I have seen the name, Collett used when referring to a Nissan March. Being an unrepentant busy body and nosy Parker I though that perhaps I could get an answer here. I guess it's a sub-model of some kind, but a google search doesn't reveal much detail other than that.
In an earlier post or reply to a thread, a member mentioned that 10 million Micra's have been assembled over the years at Nissan's Sunderland plant in the UK - did I read that correctly?

Cheers
Bruce

This is just idle curiosity really, but I have seen the name, Collett used when referring to a Nissan March. Being an unrepentant busy body and nosy Parker I though that perhaps I could get an answer here. I guess it's a sub-model of some kind, but a google search doesn't reveal much detail other than that.
In an earlier post or reply to a thread, a member mentioned that 10 million Micra's have been assembled over the years at Nissan's Sunderland plant in the UK - did I read that correctly?

Cheers
Bruce

Colette refers to the K10 and a level of specification. Esoteric naming is a generic component of a marketing feel good gambit to engender exclusivity to differentiate and maintain interest in otherwise unremarkable virtually indistinguishable variants of generic products from its competitors.

The name Colette is a French baby name. In French the meaning of the name Colette is: Necklace. Victorious. A Middle Ages feminine form of Nicholas originally . Famous bearers - 15th Century French nun St Colette, and 20th century French writer Colette.

In Greek the meaning of the name Colette is: People's Victory. St. Nicholas is the patron saint of children, sailors, and pawnbrokers - Santa Claus is based on this saint. A feel good marketing gambit as ever twas?

Approximately 2.3 million Micra’s were produced in Sunderland UK in addition to those produced in South America and Asia.

Reference: http://hatchheaven.com/archives/2775

https://hiveminer.com/Tags/colette,micra/Interesting

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/micra-uk-production-ends

Last edited:
Many thanks for this interesting information - I appreciate it.
In the reference relating to UK Micra production ending I immediately thought. where will UK buyers get their new Micra's?
Possibilities include from Nissan Japan, or perhaps nowhere at all with the likelihood seeming to be the Duke as the UK Micra replacement.
The March Collet is an interesting story. many thanks for providing this info. My question resulted from a picture of one listed by a car wrecker on a local auction website.
The pic of the car is of the its rear hatch that looks more like a K11 than a K10 - its more rounded but perhaps latter K10's has the K11's hatch styling. But clearly attached to the right hand lower side of the hatch and directly opposite the March sign is the Collett logo.
My thinking was that this Collett variant may have some goodies that could add something to my car. But apparently not it would seem.
Thanks again.
Bruce.

Last edited:
This here is the K11 March referred to in the last post. This is described in the auction listing as a 1997 car.
rY2wtPG.jpg

Many thanks for this interesting information - I appreciate it.
In the reference relating to UK Micra production ending I imediately thought where will UK buyers get their new Micra's?
Possibilities include from Nissan Japan, or perhaps nowhere at all with ths likelyhood seeming to be the Duke as the UK Micra replacement.
The March Collet is an interesting story. My question resulted from a picture of one listed by a car wrecker on a local auction website.
The pic of the car is of the cars rear hatch that looks more like a K11 than a K10 - its more rounded but perhaps latter K10's has the K11's hatch styljng. But ckearly attached to the right hand lowers side of the hatch and directly oppisite the March sign is the Collet logo.
My thinking was that the Collet variant may have some goodies that could add something to my car. But apparently not it would seem.
Thanks again.
Bruce.

Many thanks for your junkyard picture of the K11 with the Colett sticker. Perhaps the Asian produced Micra March K11 were marketed via badge engineered Colett but it may not have had the same marketing exclusivity gravitas that it engenders in Europe?
Alternatively perhaps the the aftermarket sticker was added by an enthusiast?

UK micras are now imported from the a new k13 production facility in India.

Last edited:
Many thanks for your junkyard picture of the K11 with the Colett sticker. Perhaps the Asian produced Micra March K11 were marketed via badge engineered Colett but it may not have had the same marketing exclusivity gravitas that it engenders in Europe?
Alternatively perhaps the the aftermarket sticker was added by an enthusiast?

UK micras are now imported from the a new k13 production facility in India.

Yes, indeed, that makes sense, I haven't seen the car yet, but I have ordered the parcel tray from the car. I am also hoping that I can half-hitch the O/D switch - mine won't click in and out when it is pushed - it needs to be held in manually. I took one from a JDM, 1995 Pulsar at another yard, but this is actually quite different from the part in my 1997 March.

I'm not so sure that down here there is such a being that could be accurately described and a Nissan March/Micra enthusiast. Perhaps - just me :( Maybe this is an interest whose time is yet to come. I may well be wrong. The Nissan Car Club or several of it's sub-groups, may well have some registered, but there have never been many March or Micra cars sold here to begin with. I've not seen any young folk driving them - just old geezers like me and their spouses. Yet, in comparison, there seems like there is quite a decent size group of enthusiast in Australia, and they are supported by a web site. http://www.micra.com.au/ But that site seems to have become inactive in favour of a Facebook page. Aye, its trend lad!

There's not too many in Australia really either, it just seemed to be an organised niche I guess, pity micra.com.au went down it was a good forum.
In NZ you seem to get more of a diverse Japanese market mix of cars, I've seen several cars for sale in NZ I never knew existed...
Unless they're imports Australia seems to get a more limited range, although often changed for the Aussie market.

Yes, indeed, that makes sense, I haven't seen the car yet, but I have ordered the parcel tray from the car. I am also hoping that I can half-hitch the O/D switch - mine won't click in and out when it is pushed - it needs to be held in manually. I took one from a JDM, 1995 Pulsar at another yard, but this is actually quite different from the part in my 1997 March.

I'm not so sure that down here there is such a being that could be accurately described and a Nissan March/Micra enthusiast. Perhaps - just me :( Maybe this is an interest whose time is yet to come. I may well be wrong. The Nissan Car Club or several of it's sub-groups, may well have some registered, but there have never been many March or Micra cars sold here to begin with. I've not seen any young folk driving them - just old geezers like me and their spouses. Yet, in comparison, there seems like there is quite a decent size group of enthusiast in Australia, and they are supported by a web site. http://www.micra.com.au/ But that site seems to have become inactive in favour of a Facebook page. Aye, its trend lad!

A reshaped or reskinned K14 based on the Renault Clio is now badge engineered with Micra badges in a French Renault Clio factory to supply the UK/EU markets.

Quote; “There will be five grade levels on the New Micra – Visia, Visia+, Acenta, N-Connecta and Tekna.” What part of the the original concept and word Micra do they not understand? The marketeers esoteric name game word play gambit appears to have won out at zero costs compared to quality engineering? Visia refers to cosmetic surgery. Acenta steel refers to its ease of shaping, forming and machining malleability. Tekna refers to nomadic Arab and Berber camel/goat herding tribes in the Sahara region.

The K13 Indian production quality control was not suitable for EU/UK markets requirements due to excess warranty come back costs, unsatisfactory durability and correlated unacceptably high maintenance costs. This resulted in persistent low customer take up demand. Quote: “The Indian K 13 and its 3cylinder engine were quickly unceremoniously ditched.” Enjoy.

Reference: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/nissan/micra-k14-2017/?section=history

Last edited:
Hey buddy...I posted that Nissan sold 10 million Micra's.....I read it somewhere once - but that was total sales world wide iirc :) that was on the k11 I believe.

There's not too many in Australia really either, it just seemed to be an organised niche I guess, pity micra.com.au went down it was a good forum.
In NZ you seem to get more of a diverse Japanese market mix of cars, I've seen several cars for sale in NZ I never knew existed...
Unless they're imports Australia seems to get a more limited range, although often changed for the Aussie market.
I came to the micra.com.au site after it closed, but the site's contents is still accessible and the forums and tech pages continue to give good tips for maintainance and how to do upgrades. Just no more interaction since October 2016.
The motor industry here was one of the most duplicitous in the Western world. Their behaviors were not unique to this country, but their effects were terrible and long lasting. Australia was seen by those of us who sought a greater level of ethics and fare play in the local industry as an ideal example to use for a better deal for NZ consumers.
Although it is probably true that, "the grass is always greener on the other side of the road". Because of high tariffs and duties. market manipulation and favoured nation status during the post war period that excluded free competition, cars were always expensive here. After the free market policies of 1984 were introduced the mass importation of used JDM vehicles that were cheap and plentiful brought prices down right across the entire car market both new and used. The existing car market establishment fought hard to have this importation punitively regulated. Today and since our domestic car assembly industry was disestablished - oh, gosh, over twenty years ago I think, with the discarding of 6,000 workers jobs, all cars sold here are imported in massive floating garages. Australia on the other hand continued to build three domestic brands, loosing Chrysler earlier on, GMH this year and Ford in 2017. Have I got those dates correct? Something like that, eh? As a matter of interest: according to a story from an edition of Street Machine magazine published late last year, sales of Chrysler Valiants were greater in NZ and the cars more popular here than in their country of origin.

One of the reasons unusual looking versions of established car brands here is that they are often JDM only releases and made for retail chains that we here have access to as used vehicles sold at huge auction facilities for importation into our Shaky Isles and now all over the world. Speaking earlier of GMH. When it came to local assembly of US cars Holden usually received only the major mechanical parts, the dash, wheels and the grill. GMH built the bodies. Local manufacture provided everything else. Also, and for example say, a 1938 Chevrolet that GM NZ imported RHD from Canada and assembled from CKD (Completely Knocked Down) kit-sets at their GM plant at Trentham looked similar but different from Holden bodied cars of the same year. This applied to other GM car bodies as well. In searching out information relating to Australian built 1939 Oldsmobile's I discovered that often parts left over from 1937/38 models were used if that made more economic sense to do it that way.
Because of the freedom GMH had, they produced 10 1939 Oldsmobile Sports Roadsters with rumble seat unique to Australia. Everywhere else it was a business roadster with a conventional style boot .
Here is a pic of a GMH designed and built 1938 Oldsmobile with a "sloper" style body.
This is the green car; the other is a Coupe` from the same year as we would have seen the '38 over here.
bpA4sqz.jpg

TaDhVZd.jpg

I better stop with all this non-Micra stuff. I don't want to abuse our hosts hospitality. But, thanks for you interest in Kiwi auto's.
Cheers
Bruce.

Last edited:
Hey buddy...I posted that Nissan sold 10 million Micra's.....I read it somewhere once - but that was total sales world wide iirc :) that was on the k11 I believe.
Oh, I see. Sure makes sense world wide. Truthfully though, it still kinda made sense to me with the UK having what, over 60 Million people?

Cheers
Bruce

Oh, I see. Sure makes sense world wide. Truthfully though, it still kinda made sense to me with the UK having what, over 60 Million people?

Cheers
Bruce
There wasn't 60 million people in GB when they were making these little girls, around 50 million I think.
The other 10 million odd have arrived in the the last 15 years, Our little island is going to sink if it carries on :eek:

Back