Micra carburettor problem, I'm told? Help!

ashnelson

Ex. Club Member
Hi, I'm now on my third Micra in 10 years (started K10, K11 now back to K10). Just yesterday my K10 1.2 LX auto stalled while travelling at about 40 mph in the drive gear. Struggled for ages to get it started again, then it did it again twice today, this time while idling at traffic lights. Took it to a garage who said that the carburettor is "going" and it "would cost hundreds of pounds to replace; more than a J reg banger is worth!". Does this sound like a carburettor problem or am I being fobbed off because the garage can't be bothered with an "old car"? If so, are carbs really "hundreds of pounds"? Help! Really don't want to get rid of this Micra, only had it two months!

Sounds like a sensor or the solenoid in the carb has gone, bout £25 from a scrapyard for a carb, gotta be an auto one though

I wonder which part/circuit of the carb the 'expert' at the garage says is 'going'

going where?

either theres a fault or there isnt...

eg "split diaphragm", or "blocked bleed" or "vacuum leak" or "loose linkage".

carb is "going" sounds like FOBBED off by a dude who isnt as technical as he /she is making out....

I would shop around for a auto mechanic who cares :)

keep your beloved auto and treat it to some tip-top remedeial treatment

Thanks for your advice Olly, Sammo and Sed. Took it to someone else this afternoon who just said the carb needed a good clean out and the air filter was chocka with muck. It all runs tickety-boo now. Just goes to show how some garages can fob you off if they can't be bothered with so called "ancient cars"...!

good news... dont give up on your car especially micras you can runs these things into the ground and they still start first time i love my baby! :grinning:

Back