Fuel Problem - help

CMF_snmf

» CMF Member
Hi Guys,

Can you help with a problem on my 97 1.3 micra.

Last Sunday it would not start. It was the first time in nearly 3 years of ownership that it did not start first time. I took the plugs out and checked the spark which was good and bright. The plugs are about 6000km old. Strange thing was they were dry (all of them) even after repeated tries to start. I then got a can of "Start Ye Bastard" and spayed it down the intake and off it went. It died after the first 2 goes after the spray wore off but on the third it started and ran normally.

After that all was good for a week. Today however the car kept loosing power and would not accelerate and kangerooing in 4th and 5th. I have just gone to start it and it will not start. If I use the spray it just runs for a second or 2 but dies away.

I have been reading on the site about throttle body problems, does this sound like the problem? or do you think it could be fuel starvation. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Has anyone used a Nissan main dealer in the Melbourne area?

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
definatley fuel eh. Sounds like a pump maybe, I'd definately try that first.

Also check for water in the oil etc in case it's a head gasket, but if it was then I'd expect it to possibly run but only on 3 or 2 cylinders, and you would have spotted coolant or something unusual on the plugs.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
How many km's has the car done?
K11 fuel pumps do die.
As above, listen for the pump when the ignition is turned on.
Fuel filter could cause the 4th & 5th gear problems but shouldn't stop it from starting altogether.

CMF_snmf

» CMF Member
Geoff and 33driver thanks for your quick responses.

I can not hear the pump where I turn on the ignition. Do you know where it is so I can give it a knock maybe.

I have not changed the fuel filter since I have had the car. Due to the problems I had last week I bought a new one yesterday but could not get the old one off as the pipes seemed stuck on and I was worried I would split them.

The coolant level seems ok and I can't see any water in the oil so I am hoping its not the head gasket

I do have to admit that I drove about 60ks on unsealed roads on a camping weekend a couple of weeks ago I wonder if maybe I managed to get a load a crap in the fuel.

Thanks again. I will keep you posted

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Definately fuel pump then I reckon. It's in the tank itself. You access it under the rear seat. Its under that plate in the floor and then inside the tank itself. So you have buckleys chance of being able to give it a whack without disassembling the whole shebang.

CMF_snmf

» CMF Member
The car went to the garage today and it was the fuel pump. They could not get the part today but it should be fixed tomorrow.

They have quoted me $280 for the pump inc fitting.

Thanks for your help and advice

CMF_33driver

» CMF Member
no probs, sounds reasonable with labour. Surprised it went at 125k though, i'm at 320k and still going as far as I know lol.

P.S. Yes the fuel filter is a PIA to get off lol. Seems to be a thing with nissans, had to do my skyline as well, got the ****s and just cut the tubing off, replacing it from the steel tubing onwards to make it easier.

CMF_Geoff W

» CMF Member
Absolutely, great price on labour. Get em to do fuel filter for ya too maybe while its there.

And yeah true that on the cut and re-hose option described by 33driver. It would definately need doing after 130,000km. The stuff that comes outta it would look like caramel if it hasn't been done before.

CMF_snmf

» CMF Member
Back on the road again. All is good. I took your advice and got the fuel filter changed as well.

320k wow. At that the rate I am doing the kms at the moment I wont be needing another car for at least 10 years!

Cheers and and the best.

Back