Micra broken into.

on tuesday night some little f??k tried to steal my girlfriends k10. they bent the drivers side door so now theirs about a 15cm gap. they've broken the plastic round the steering column. and broken the steering lock.
So now time to try and fix it. can anyone give me advice on what im gonna have to do?

How have they bent the driver side door? Is it because the hinge is bent, or the actual metal door frame is bent? As for the plastic around the steering column, should just be a simple trip to the scrappie to find another cover (and possibly for the door as well if that's bent beyond repair). Not sure about the steering lock though fwn

This happened to me a few weeks ago. You can bend the door back gently. Make sure the window is wound down when you're doing it. Surround can maybe be found in scrappies but be careful as they are different fittings depending on what year/ model it is.

After this I put some nice little alarm stickers in the rear quarter windows, fitted an alarm and immobiliser (wasn't too expensive) with flashing LED, cut the door pins off and covered hole with a filled in cap (remote locking fitted) and left the steering surround clipped on but not screwed. this was because it was a pain to find another one. i know the they wont be able to start it so id rather they didnt break the cover in the process!

long term im thinking of welding some bars in the door frames so they dont bend.

Nice one DG, spot on with that. What year and model is it faz? What colour is the interior? I'll keep an eye out for the parts. For the steering lock you would have to replace the ignition barrel or the full column, the barrel has two regular bolts and two "snap bolts" (i think they're called something like that anyway), those two bolts have to be drilled out because they just have a blank head which there is no tool for. they can then be replaced by two regular bolts afterwards, but because it takes more time than changing the column people usually don't bother and just replace the column.
If parts are hard to find and you do take off the ignition barrel, you can always have the broken locking bar welded back together. (Y)

If you are gonna invest in a proper alarm and immobiliser (which i would highly reccomend dude) then you'll be fine without the steering lock, just get one of those big disklock anti-theft things that stops the steering wheel from being turned. That save you a lot of work and is a great deterrant.

Wish someone would steal mine I don't even lock it lol! It's run out of MOT and I've no damn welder to fix it as that blew up!
But sorry to hear that mate my drivers doors been done when the previous owner had it as the crease is all rusty and it's crumpled inside! I'd get it sorted asap and sort the paint as mine looks a mess

I will bost a pic of the door. the car does have a alarm fitted. but theres about a 10sec delay between opening the door and it going off. but it did only cost £35. if anyone does know of any doors, its a 89 3 door in red. thanks

4 times now this has happened to me in the last few months...My door was the same.

The door will bend back and fit fine but the crease will start to rust :(

If anyone has done or is doing the MOD to strengthen the doors can you post it up for us all to follow.

I did fit an ALARM and it went off as the door was being prised open the scrote ran like the wind and its been fine since.I now have a replacement door same colour.

P.S Someone said just pop down to your local scrappies for parts......Try you'll be lucky to find any :blush:

Back