Max Tyre width

nexussteve

The reason you're happy!
What's the max tyre width on a standard K10?

I know it has to stay within the arches, but how much is it?

Also, what's the bulb code for K10 headlamps?
Can't find it in the Haynes anywhere!

Cheers :)

Lots of people have fitted 195/45 profile tyres without major issues, but they might rub if you lower it.

Cheers Superls. I thought it was! :)

I was actually looking to go for 195/45/15

Ya see, I'm seriously considering turbo-ing it this year, but didn't want to extend the arches just yet.
Ya think you could get away with that width after a turbo conversion?

Width would be the least of your problems! Turboing a K10 hasn't been done as far as i'm aware (ST engine doesn't count) Ed has 195/45/15 with his ST, over 200hp.

Cheers Superls. I thought it was! :)

I was actually looking to go for 195/45/15

Ya see, I'm seriously considering turbo-ing it this year, but didn't want to extend the arches just yet.
Ya think you could get away with that width after a turbo conversion?

Why would a turbo conversion have anything to do with the wheel width,not been smart ?I'd be very suprised to see your K10 with a proper conversion done by the 31/12/09 garantee it'll still be NA

Didn't they have K10 Turbos in the UK??

Why would a turbo conversion have anything to do with the wheel width,not been smart ?I'd be very surprised to see your K10 with a proper conversion done by the 31/12/09 garantee it'll still be NA

I know what you're saying but I assume he just meant in regards to loosing traction with the increased torque. I only have 175s on mine atm coz my stuffed suspension was causing rubbing, but will put 185s back on once that's fixed. That's with just under 100bhp, hopefully be a little over once I get it back with the engine leak fixed and new exhaust.

There has been a fair few MA10ET original parts on Japanese auctions of late, might be worth investigating if you intend to go ahead with the conversion.

I'm only spouting theory here, but have you considered super charging? I assume you would only be wanting to run small amounts of boost so you could probably easily do say 9psi with a s/c and have no lag. From what I've heard its much easier to do a s/c conversion on a n/a car than it is to do a turbo conversion. Something to think about anyway... Good luck with it though, should be an interesting project.

Sorry guys, I think I've mis-lead you a little...
I've sourced a whole different engine. I'm not turbo-ing my current lump.

Snikty: You're right - I'm worried about the lack of traction for all that power.

Well, I may have sourced a 1.8 Bluebird turbo lump with gearbox and all wiring looms, ECU, etc.

My main worry is that my car won't take it.
So asking to see the minimum I need to uprate.

Originally I was gonna go for a 1.3 Glanza lump, which I'm currently leaning towards. Would like to keep it Nissan due to mounts though.

Bluebird engines are old! You might as well stick an SR20 in it if you're going to do that much work. If you're considering a 1.3, put the K11 1.3 engine in.

Sorry guys, I think I've mis-lead you a little...
I've sourced a whole different engine. I'm not turbo-ing my current lump.

Snikty: You're right - I'm worried about the lack of traction for all that power.

Sorry About jumping to conclusions mate ,Go on the Ma10et better option???!!!

As regards to wheel I have 195/45 15's on there and its lower 25-30mm front and 40mm at the back and it does'nt rub ,obviously had to roll the rear arches for extra clearance though.

Where did you get the engine?

Arnold: Yeah, I was thinking about a CG13de turbo conversion...how much cheaper would that be though?

Crazyep82: No worries fella! :) I've only sourced it, havent purchased it yet. I friend of mine knows a mechanic that's got one all sealed up on a pallette.

I've been trying to decide on an engine for so bloody long now, I'm never gonna reach a decision! :(

Maybe I should start a poll?? :p

Arnold: Yeah, I was thinking about a CG13de turbo conversion...how much cheaper would that be though?

Crazyep82: No worries fella! :) I've only sourced it, havent purchased it yet. I friend of mine knows a mechanic that's got one all sealed up on a pallette.

I've been trying to decide on an engine for so bloody long now, I'm never gonna reach a decision! :(

Maybe I should start a poll?? :p

Starlet 4E-fte engines are great and ripe for tuning! Do it!

Bluebird engines are old! You might as well stick an SR20 in it if you're going to do that much work. If you're considering a 1.3, put the K11 1.3 engine in.

If its the CA18DET then its one of the strongest and most capable for turbo charging. Also what all the modders in Japland chuck RWD micras. A lot of people have taken them to over 600bhp.

If its the CA18DET then its one of the strongest and most capable for turbo charging. Also what all the modders in Japland chuck RWD micras. A lot of people have taken them to over 600bhp.
Ca18 is a pile of crap compared to an SR20,loads of lads have trouble with them

See?? This is the kinda debate that keeps changing my mind! Haha!

I've read all through the forums for months trying to find the right one!

the topic has wandered...I thought I was in the wrong thread...lol

'Original wheels' can be as narrow as 4" on the older micras...the more recent and most popular ones are 5" (steel) though...

a 195 tyres might clip over the 5" ones...but I wouldnt reccoment running them (even if they do keep the air in to begin with. The side wall will be under constant strain and the tyre will underperform and wear ouit unevenly and quick.

try to use a minimum of 6" width wheels for 195 tyres....most alloys are fine in this department.

The side walls of tyres are designed to fit over a rim that is within a certain ratio of the tyre width. Many reccomendations quote a minimum of 3/4 width rim compared with the tyre width.

Yeah Wiki says one has been done to 550, but the CA was replaced by the SR engines, obviously more modern, reliable and cheaper to get parts for. Especially gearboxes! You just don't see many bluebirds around anymore, whereas there's tonnes of SR20 donors everywhere

I don't see why it would be much harder to use an SR20 over a CA18, as you've still got to do serious modifications to everything for both engines to work.. and yeah i'm fitting an SR20 engine & 4wd running gear

Back