stretched tyre problems?

Hi all.

Just want to know many any k10 owners but also anyone else with stretched tyres on there car??

I drive a k10 and have 165/65/13 on a 7J minilite. But having a problem with them at around +50mph.
I get this wobble in the steering wheel but does not shake the car...
Taken it to the garage and they said the wheel is balanced 100% its down the the tyre size put on the wheel and where its been stretched onto the rim its causing this problem, so i've been told, but does not sound like it to me.
Any ideas?

I can't put bigger tyres on as they will poke out the arches to much.

Cheers

you would be supprised how many tyre places actually know naff all about tyres!!! i have gone to a lot of local places and asked for certain sizes and i get the old "that size does not exist mate" ummm but they do, i have them already..... or last week, im afer some 165/55/14 or 175/50/14s please "what car are they going on?" nissan micra why "that car did not come with that tyre as standard" ya i know that mate, my question wasnt can you tell me what tyres i had on my car from the factory, they are after market wheels..... "what width are the wheels you want them for?" 7" and 7.5" "na they wont fit, you need 195s minimum, i would even say 205 14s" ok so what your saying is you wont supply me with the tyres i have asked for?? "they dont make them that size........

before he had a chance to finish his sentance i gave him an ear full of dial tone!!!

this also goes with wheel balancing, anything other than a steel wheel and most tyre places start to dribble from the corners of their mouth. plus theres always someone working there you know from school, the kid who ate crayons and could not roll a worm in clay class, and hes there doing your tyres.....

"this also goes with wheel balancing, anything other than a steel wheel and most tyre places start to dribble from the corners of their mouth. plus theres always someone working there you know from school, the kid who ate crayons and could not roll a worm in clay class, and hes there doing your tyres....."
Funny as...........!! :D

Have you tried the wheels rotated 90 degrees so that they sit on the next stud round from where you started. Do this three times and you'll generally have found the point with the least vibration. Also make absolutely sure you are tightening the nuts down slowly, opposites then moving round.
It's likely like frank says that you could well be forcing 4x4" onto 4x100.

Have you tried the wheels rotated 90 degrees so that they sit on the next stud round from where you started. Do this three times and you'll generally have found the point with the least vibration. Also make absolutely sure you are tightening the nuts down slowly, opposites then moving round.
It's likely like frank says that you could well be forcing 4x4" onto 4x100.
thats what i had to do to one of my fronts last week, i had a wobble that started at 65mph then faded out again at 75, so i checked the balance and it seemed ok.
the other week i measured the clearance around the centrebore, stock steels are 61mm bore but have 4 pinchpoints near the boltholes, where they measure 59.1 (so the bore is actually sort-of square shaped).
and i could get a 15" thou feeler between 3 of the pinch points, but the 4th one was touching.
and when i turned that 1 wheel 180 deg the wobble all but disappeared :)

heh, they,re blagging you, are the wheels 100 pcd ?

Yeah wheels are PCD 4x100

The wheels are made for PCD 101.6 i think and the company drilled them out for me... badly i must say as i needed to do it by hand.
Maybe each point has a different gap... I shall try and see if i take the wheel off spin it 90 degrees if it fits as well. Could be the answer.

Yeah wheels are PCD 4x100

The wheels are made for PCD 101.6 i think and the company drilled them out for me... badly i must say as i needed to do it by hand.
Maybe each point has a different gap... I shall try and see if i take the wheel off spin it 90 degrees if it fits as well. Could be the answer.
Sounds to me like that may be your problem :( May have been better leaving them as 101.6 pcd and using wobble nuts. Had zero problems with mine.

you would be supprised how many tyre places actually know naff all about tyres!!! i have gone to a lot of local places and asked for certain sizes and i get the old "that size does not exist mate" ummm but they do, i have them already..... or last week, im afer some 165/55/14 or 175/50/14s please "what car are they going on?" nissan micra why "that car did not come with that tyre as standard" ya i know that mate, my question wasnt can you tell me what tyres i had on my car from the factory, they are after market wheels..... "what width are the wheels you want them for?" 7" and 7.5" "na they wont fit, you need 195s minimum, i would even say 205 14s" ok so what your saying is you wont supply me with the tyres i have asked for?? "they dont make them that size........

before he had a chance to finish his sentance i gave him an ear full of dial tone!!!

this also goes with wheel balancing, anything other than a steel wheel and most tyre places start to dribble from the corners of their mouth. plus theres always someone working there you know from school, the kid who ate crayons and could not roll a worm in clay class, and hes there doing your tyres.....

haha love it mate!!

well i have taken it to two different places and they both say its 100% balanced, both places 80 miles apart lol. (good reason behind the distance) and believe it or not a tyre shop put the stretched tyre on for me... didnt have to do it myself, but they didnt wanna go smaller than 165 on a 7j. Looked sweet as though

haha love it mate!!

well i have taken it to two different places and they both say its 100% balanced, both places 80 miles apart lol. (good reason behind the distance) and believe it or not a tyre shop put the stretched tyre on for me... didnt have to do it myself, but they didnt wanna go smaller than 165 on a 7j. Looked sweet as though
the wheels ARE balanced tho, but they have been balanced while mounted on the balancing machine via the centrebore (not balanced while mounted on the offcentre boltholes)

the wheels ARE balanced tho, but they have been balanced while mounted on the balancing machine via the centrebore (not balanced while mounted on the offcentre boltholes)

Erm i havent been around when they've done it, but its on some sort of balancing machine... i was under the impression there was only one kind of machine for the job???

Erm i havent been around when they've done it, but its on some sort of balancing machine... i was under the impression there was only one kind of machine for the job???
90% + of wheel balancing machines locate the wheel via a big taper that fits inside the centrebore, so if yours were fitted hubcentric they would,nt wobble, the off-centric boltholes are probably shifting the wheel offcentre (hence the wobble)

90% + of wheel balancing machines locate the wheel via a big taper that fits inside the centrebore, so if yours were fitted hubcentric they would,nt wobble, the off-centric boltholes are probably shifting the wheel offcentre (hence the wobble)

Im pretty sure it was done by the taper at the centrebore.... so hubcentric.

So you dont think its down to the front tyres?

Do you have spigot rings fitted? Whip a wheel off and measure your centre bore. If its more than 59.1mm and you dont have spigot rings thats where your problem will be

Ok i found out that the alloy is defo lugcentrically and not hubcentrically as the alloy is 65.1mm and my hub on the car is 59.1mm and sadly don't have any spigot rings in that size.
I did find a website that makes custom spigot rings to your required size but costing £45 without shipping i think and don't really wanna pay out if this may not fix my wobble.
Any ideas people?

Thought i'd update this for anyone that isn't aware on how to fix this problem if they have the same problem...
Its nothing to do with the tyre its the alloy center bore hub being bigger than the car center bore hub, meaning that the wheel is lugcentrically and not hubcentrically. To fix any wobble you recently have got from new alloys, it's most probs the alloy center hub bore being to big, requiring a spigot ring with the dimensions of the hub center and and alloy center.
Just to let you all know that I got spigot ring fitted thanks to MicrAde :D and the problem is fixed. No more wobble at +60mph.
Hope this helps

Back