Max power stopping publication

Yeah saw this yesterday. I remember in the early 90s it almost had some good stuff in it!

As you say it almost had some decent stuff in. Perhaps times are changing and that era is now over, there must have been a demand there for it to have carried on for so long, or perhaps this is a consequence of the recession, or maybe a newer generation just doesn't get the Max Power scene and those who used to have now moved on.

I'll hold my hand up and say I bought a couple of mags a long time ago, also bought Fast car a few years ago for curiosity.

Chances are it's just gone online more. More competition out there and you don't need to buy a magazine to see modified cars or find parts for them!

not a massive loss, its published by the same people who do Fast car, i think they should just make it online, tho i suppose there is no profit in that

I have a copy of the first ever Max power. It has a purple Pug 205 with a big bodykit on it!
I think it lost its way. When it came out CCC and Fast car were proper tuning magazines, Max power was the first to feature more on bodykits and stereos and stuff. It came out just at the start of the era when chavs would gather in retail parks with their Novas stuffed with 'I.C.E' so a surge in popularity was ensured. Now that these folks have grown up that lifestyle is fading.
The cars it featured towards the end were not the sort of thing you could do yourself. Most were cars flung together by tuning companies to show off their stuff rather than something some guy had done in his shed after work using bits from the scrappy and lots of thought and hard graft. Anyone can 'build' a cool car if they have enough cash but a car built with thought and good ideas will always look/sound/drive better. Max power were not overly concerned with that! Far less effort required to feature the latest car from XYZ tuning and sell them an extra page of advertising at the same time.

I have a copy of the first ever Max power. It has a purple Pug 205 with a big bodykit on it!
I think it lost its way. When it came out CCC and Fast car were proper tuning magazines, Max power was the first to feature more on bodykits and stereos and stuff. It came out just at the start of the era when chavs would gather in retail parks with their Novas stuffed with 'I.C.E' so a surge in popularity was ensured. Now that these folks have grown up that lifestyle is fading.
The cars it featured towards the end were not the sort of thing you could do yourself. Most were cars flung together by tuning companies to show off their stuff rather than something some guy had done in his shed after work using bits from the scrappy and lots of thought and hard graft. Anyone can 'build' a cool car if they have enough cash but a car built with thought and good ideas will always look/sound/drive better. Max power were not overly concerned with that! Far less effort required to feature the latest car from XYZ tuning and sell them an extra page of advertising at the same time.
Here here!
No-one wants to read 12 issues of "what tuning company X has done this month" a year
The reason for the mag was to show what YOU could do with some thought and spannerwork.... not your checkbook!
Just look at the VW scene atm.... thats the whole max power fail too, chequebook cars all over... and only a few hardcore ppl doing the acual spannering!
remember kids, anyone can write a cheque, or hand over the money, it takes talent to build it yourself, thats the ideal that the modified car scene seems to have lost....

Back