ENGINE WARNING LIGHT

Slokie

Ex. Club Member
I bought my X reg K11 just after christmas 2011 from a car dealer for £800 with a 28 day warranty. After running it for a week the engine warning light came on, so I took it back, they did a diagnostic check, said they would fix it, they did. After running the car for another week the engine warning light came on again, so back to the dealer it went, this time they said a new part was required on the exhaust which they replaced, no probs. The engine warning light came on again the other day 25th Feb,the warranty had expired from the dealer so i took the car to my local garage, he did a diagnostic check, charged £36 and said if the light came on again he would have to investigate further. The report from the diagnostic check shows - BANK 1 LEAN (suspect ignition problem), the car runs fine at the moment, does anybody know what the diagnosis means. I am dreading the light coming again as it could be quite costly. Any help/advise would be appreciated.

sounds like all they did was erase the faultcodes if its coming back on weeks later, fueltrim problem maybe ?

sounds like all they did was erase the faultcodes if its coming back on weeks later, fueltrim problem maybe ?
Thanks for the reply Frank, I know nothing about computer management systems. will do an oil change and change the plugs, will try anything.

yep,deffo sounds like they just cleared the code without actually replacing any faulty parts or doing any sort of investigation.

I would say you either have a air/vacuum leak and or cracked/perished pipes or you have a defective O2 sensor.

yep,deffo sounds like they just cleared the code without actually replacing any faulty parts or doing any sort of investigation.

I would say you either have a air/vacuum leak and or cracked/perished pipes or you have a defective O2 sensor.
It looks like spending some cash if the light comes on again, it's not something i can sort myself. Thanks for the reply.

I think dealers have to provide 3 months warranty with cars sold now, so yours might still be covered depending on when you brought it. Also, just because the warranty has run out, if it was reported before the warranty ended and hasn't been fixed then they should still sort it out. When it comes to computers, i've always been able to get dealers to repair them if the original fault was reported before the warranty ended, and my follow up call is afterwards.

I think dealers have to provide 3 months warranty with cars sold now, so yours might still be covered depending on when you brought it. Also, just because the warranty has run out, if it was reported before the warranty ended and hasn't been fixed then they should still sort it out. When it comes to computers, i've always been able to get dealers to repair them if the original fault was reported before the warranty ended, and my follow up call is afterwards.
Thanks for the advise Arnold, will give them a try. as yet the engine light has not come back on.

Thanks for the advise Arnold, will give them a try. as yet the engine light has not come back on.
Have just done a 304 mile round trip without the engine light coming back on. I changed the plugs and oil and hopefully a good run has solved the problem. Thanks to you guy's who offered advise.

Back