Manual Conversion

Hi folks,

Sorry to make my first post a pretty big ask for advice, but I've recently picked up a Figaro - in need of a little bit of cosmetic tidying - that I'd like to make a little more fun. It's a little different already as it's had a full silver paint job at some point and has some rusty chromed wheel trims that will need attention (or binning).

12694596_10154055686472089_291731727464880414_o.jpg

My other car is a Morris 1000 I've modified to have about as much power as the Fig so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics, but turbos, ECUs and so on are a bit 'modern' and new to me. The old a-series is pretty forgiving when it comes to making mistakes too. From what I've read so far the best options for the Fig on a reasonable budget seem to be: intercooler & more boost & remap and maybe a manual box. Not much info is available when searching for Figaro stuff though, I guess the typical owner isn't so inclined to have fun with them in this way.

Firstly, before I go punching through the foot-well to fit a clutch pedal - would the ratio of the compatible manual boxes (K10-12? and diffs?) actually improve the revs at cruising speed to make this worth the effort?

Any advice super appreciated!

Last edited:
Hi folks,

Sorry to make my first post a pretty big ask for advice, but I've recently picked up a Figaro - in need of a little bit of cosmetic tidying - that I'd like to make a little more fun. It's a little different already as it's had a full silver paint job at some point and has some rusty chromed wheel trims that will need attention (or binning).

View attachment 47136

My other car is a Morris 1000 I've modified to have about as much power as the Fig so I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to mechanics, but turbos, ECUs and so on are a bit 'modern' and new to me. The old a-series is pretty forgiving when it comes to making mistakes too. From what I've read so far the best options for the Fig on a reasonable budget seem to be: intercooler & more boost & remap and maybe a manual box. Not much info is available when searching for Figaro stuff though, I guess the typical owner isn't so inclined to have fun with them in this way.

Firstly, before I go punching through the foot-well to fit a clutch pedal - would the ratio of the compatible manual boxes (K10-12? and diffs?) actually improve the revs at cruising speed to make this worth the effort?

Any advice super appreciated!
I've carried out a manual conversion on one of these and found that the shell is already prepared for manual set up. Hole in bulkhead for clutch cable, captive nuts on the underside to take rubber gear selector mounts. I used a doner K10. Pedal box bolts straight in, you will need the manual driveshafts as they are different to the auto. You will also need the K10 gearbox mounts, starter motor and clutch/flywheel obviously. Only thing you will need to fabricate is a gear lever gaiter. Acceleration was a lot quicker and revs were reduced significantly when motorway cruising. The early 4 speed box has a lower ratio diff than the 5 speed so top end speed/revs will work out about the same with either. Ideally you want the early diff in a 5 speed box but probably easier to just experiment with wheel/tyre sizes. Manual set up should also shave off a few kilos of weight. I've actually got another K10 doner for a conversion but haven't found a suitable Figaro yet.

Hi mate,
Like yourself I have the Turbo engine BUT in an ultra rare nissan micra also know as the MARCH only available in Jap but had it imported over. Its the exact same engine as yours but like I say in a K10 micra.
Modifications so for
bigger Turbo
Induction Kit
Fuel pressure regulator
Fuel pressure guage
Upped Boost
Colder Plugs
Dump Valve
Bigger exhaust
Ok its never going to be an Evo but it's certainly fun but like you nobody seems to know the tuning side of these things
next on the list is brake upgrade