MA10 valve clearances

I have done this in the past a few times on various cars.
I have attempted twice on the K10, and both times after setting and running the car, it sounds like 'a skeleton having a w*nk in a biscuit tin'. Rechecking the clearances shows that some are out by 5mm - 10mm. Obviously, this is well over the 0.25 on the inlet and 0.30mm on the exhaust sides.

I'm getting TDC on cylinder 1 by gauging the the height of the piston with a screwdriver carefully slotted in the spark plug hole, and also by the cut out on the crank pulley to the '0' degree marking. Also getting TDC on cylinder 4 by rotating the crank 180 degrees to the opposite of TDC on #1 (and also doing the screwdriver trick).

I'm not sure how this is possible, and I reckon I'm doing something wrong, and maybe following a setup diagram that is incorrect.

Does anyone have a diagram that is correct or any instructions? Thanks.

You want to do it in firing order which is 1342 so start with cylinder one on tdc, rocking between exhaust stroke and inlet stroke then move on to cylinder 3 and so on... Finishing with 2...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...sounds like 'a skeleton having a w*nk in a biscuit tin...
LMAO!

Haynes says warm engine up and...

Ult7N49.jpg

Thanks you very much for that! Can I be cheeky and ask for the timing marks on the crankshaft? Just want to make sure!
Thanks!
(Is there a workshop manual pdf anywhere online?)

Tried this again twice this weekend - same outcome. Set correctly, and then ran the engine, it tapped like crazy and all the clearances were out.
What am I doing wrong? I've done this loads of times previously on other cars!

Realised what was wrong - to get the full '4 stroke' thing on all four cylinders, the cranks needs to be rotated twice.
So getting #4 at TDC, you need to rotate the crank 360 degrees (until the white notch mark lines up with 0 degrees on the crank). Rotating the crank rotates the camshaft 180 degrees. :) I've sorted this now - it still taps though - do they all do this?

are you using feelers david ? because you might have some wear on the rockers eh
i usually count the turn angles on the adjuster instead (2 flats on the locking nut on kart engines for example)

images.jpeg

Yes, but also a spark plug gauge as I find it's difficult to get a 'blade' between the gap (due to height of surrounding head/rockers, etc).
I'll do it again this weekend - there was definitely wear on it though, you could tell. Can you buy new sets of these btw? (rockers and tappets?)

you could grind the wear steps off, but its not really worth it, you can get tools that adjust them by angle or just angle it by eye

tool-1.jpg

I set the valves to 0.22 on the inlet and 0.27 on the exhaust and it now runs lovely with absolutely no tapping!! Thanks all!

Back