lowering and bump stop help

caphj7

Buy & Sell Member
hi, i am going to lower my 1985 k10 next week but im not too sure what needs to be done. im going to order some 35mm springs for about £75 and i intend to fit these to my current shocks. ill probly get it done at a garage. i was wondering if i need bump stops to limit the travel to stop my k10 rubbing. i have 13 inch alloys at the moment with 165/65/13 tyres on them. any help appreciated & also if anyone has springs with or without shocks i would be interested as i have money ready now. thanks adam

my.php

Get some aftermarket shock absorbers as well. Lowering on standard shocks give a poor ride comfort and also puts excess stress on the OEM shocks due to them working with springs they were not designed to.

I fitted cut down bump stops to my K10 that were originally about 30mm, these were cut down to about 15mm, it didn't need much, but that was with 15's on a 195/45 profile and a heavy boot install.

13's with that profile tyre will give a similiar rolling radius to 15's on a 195/45, but with the width of the tyre beinig less, it might be ok with no rubbing, possibly just rolling the arches.

Kev

hi , i just had a quote for parts on a website £143.96 for 35mm lowering springs and 2 front & 2 rear KYB shocks. i need to know is there anything else i have to buy in order to build them up. im going to build them up at a garage and then just swap them over with my current ones. is this a good idea? will it just be a straight swap?? thanks adam

That is a good price.

Yes they will be direct swap and the garage should be able to swap them over easily enough as long as the bolts undo ok.

Labour usually gets charged about 3-4 hours and then you'll need the tracking set.

Kev

Springs aren't hard to change, but if it's a coilover (not sure on a k10), but i fit's a coilover set up then, you'll need spring compressors.

if it's not, then you MIGHT get away without them.

as i've said many times when fitting lowering springs compressors arent needed see the other threads in the mech section about this ;) ill do a full no compressor guide when i do mine soon :) its very easy as rimmer has seen when i did his took about 1 hour to do all 4 corners :)

I doubt arch work will be required on 13's, and bump stops will be unnecessary too. Standard ones should suffice!

Back