Low fuel light issues, not staying on?

Just checking if this is normal as I am a bit confused with this one, can anyone advice me?
This morning I turned on the ignition, the car beeped at me and the low fuel light came on, the fuel guage was just above the red section, the low fuel light stayed on whilst I drove about a mile, parked at the shop and bought something.

I then restarted the car, the low fuel light came on as part of the usual start up checks and then it went off again and did not stay on although I had not yet put any fuel in it yet?

I then drove to the petrol station, mere metres away and put some fuel in the car, restarted the car and the light came on and as part of usual start up and went off again as normal. Can anyone explain to me what is going on, I thought it would stay on until I filled the car up?

the sensor is a float in the tank. if you park on a hill, the fuel can sit lower front to back (or side to side) and let the float sit low (only happens on a fairly tank like you describe).
mine usually does it when I'm sat on the up slope of the slip road for home after a long journey that's used all the go juice, the slope on the ramp is just enough to slip me in to the red so to speak. next time I drive it and fill up, quite often the light is off because I park noise down on our drive way.
we are on the crossover of technologies due to age of the, we got fancy stuff like MPG and range but still relied on old tech like floats rather than capacitive sensors which are less prone to this sort of thing.

wouldn't worry about it.

Back