Fuel pump failure ...? D:

I drove down to my local DMS to grab some oil and spark plugs for a friend's Renault Megane and pulled into a space and went in to buy what i needed. I came back out and went to start up the car and the engine cranked but wouldn't fire. I cranked it 4 times for roughly 4 seconds each time before noticing that the fuel gauge was dangerously low, and so I put more fuel into the tank from a canister and the car started up.

Whilst driving, it felt like the car was jolting forwards a little as though the drive was not continuously powerful. When I pulled into the petrol station to fill up the car and then went to start it, the car cranked but would not fire. I cranked it a couple times and then went to the fuel filler cap and unscrewed it to listen for a hiss which would mean the tank was pressurized but i couldnt hear anything. Also, note that there was a check engine light on the car whilst driving it from DMS to the petrol station after managing to start the car. Have i burned-out the fuel pump from trying to start the engine without fuel or is there something else going on? Also, because the person who gave me the gas canister to fill up the car the first time just grabbed the partially full canister from the shed we're unsure as to whether what was in the cansiter was actually petrol and not diesel. But the car started so this means it had to have been petrol, right ...?

Back