Loss of power

Hi

My daughter has a v reg K11. Weve had it in the family since new and has always been well looked after and reliable.

Over the winter I noticed the heating didnt work and after a bit of fettling I changed the thermostat and hey presto it all worked again.

The thermostat must have been stuck.

However since I changed the thermostat the car feels very flat and has lost power, I also noticed the exhaust blowing a bit as well. All I can think of is that the engine was running cold before and probably using too much fuel, now the engine is running at the correct temperature there is something else that isnt working properly. Air mass sensor perhaps?

Thanks for your help in advance, shes decalred that she would rather have a faster car and wear more clothes than as it is at the moment :)

Andrew

It's hard to tell. I'm no expert.

Any other symptoms?

When a MAF is usually at fault you get erratic idle (?) and a lumpy ride.

Did it overheat at all when the old thermostat was stuck closed?

When did it last have a proper service?

It's hard to tell. I'm no expert.

Any other symptoms?

When a MAF is usually at fault you get erratic idle (?) and a lumpy ride.

Did it overheat at all when the old thermostat was stuck closed?

When did it last have a proper service?
Hi

thanks for that. Service is due in 6 months, the car generally does 2-3k between services so not used that much. I did take the temp sensor out when looking to find the fault (yep I was barking up the wrong tree with that one:)) Im wondering if I didnt connect the wiring back in properly, I might double check that.

The ride isnt lumpy but you need to use a more accelerator than before and also change down for hills a lot.

Cheers will let you know

Andrew

what year is the car andrew ? because the coilpack type post 2000 have different symptoms/faults
Hi

it is a 'v' reg late 1999 inspriation.

Oddly there is a blowing noise from the back box now. It may jsut be coincidence that its started at the same time as I change the thermostat. Surely a tiny exhaust blow wouldnt cause it to lose power?

thanks

Andrew

i doubt if the stuck open stat was causing continuous coldstart enrichment personally andrew (it would prolong it a bit), nor the blowing exhaust being the cause

i doubt if the stuck open stat was causing continuous coldstart enrichment personally andrew (it would prolong it a bit), nor the blowing exhaust being the cause
thanks

Ive just contacted the chap whos looked after it for the last 14 years. Im going to pop over and put his diagnostic machine on it to see if we can find the problem that way...

Fingers crossed:)

Will let you know

thanks
Andrew

Hi

just found out what I did wrong.... the distributor I have to take off wasnt quite aligned correctly when I put it back on... the timing was slightly out. Undid a couple of bolts realigned up and is good as new :)

Apols Ive been a bit of a wad :)

thanks for your pointers thoguh

Andrew

Back