Limits on rural roads to be cut

Here's what Im rattling on about:

( a lot of the posts above have described some of the situations on this diagram in words already) eg Ians corker example of 30mph in 60 zones because its just not safe otherwise)

yes. it's possible to 'wind it up', but you are then putting yourself in a position where you can not take safe avoiding action if a developing hazard turns into an actual hazard

the dotted green line line represents the limit applied by the council.. in an area

the red curved line represents the scientific ACTUAL SAFE MAXIMUM SPEED ( according to a complicated equation that I havent finished working on....)

The dotted grey curved line represents an example of a real drivers ACTUAL SPEED after thay have made their own judgement......along the same route

consider that drivers' ACTUAL SPEED compared with the LOCAL LIMIT (as per the councils 'expert' (?) oppinion .......and that the police and the courts WILL enforce on the councils behalf where they can)

Also consider that drivers' ACTUAL SPEED compared with the SCIENTIFIC ACTUAL SAFE SPEED along the course of jouney..

the differences between these notations explain why there is such fierce debate on the subject

food for thought

Attachments

• NIASS.jpg
    NIASS.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 161
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=109&i=8194

Not about the thread subject, but does cover a lot of the subjects discussed in this thread. Good points made.

DUDE!!! A corker find!!

EVERYONE-> READ IT...it took me less than 300 seconds!!

Nice Post Mate!!...nice to see this on pistonheads

What is really needed is better driver training. Compulsory Basic Training before you are allowed on the road, basic prescribed driver training, car control training and taught a system of driving similar to roadcraft.

A massive subject and I agree 100%^

the barrier to this IMO is the open market L-driver training ("competition" & "student through-put": minimum quallity to pass <rather than highest quallity to be safe and excell>)

PS anyone who might have the slightest interest in improving should get a copy of this and get reading (and practicing)
http://www.spservices.co.uk/product_info.php/products_id/746

This thread is an interesting read.

I see dickheads nearly every day on the road.

Imagine there were no speed limits.

By some philosophies noted in this thread, everyone should be driving as fast as their car can go.

At the end of the day, there shouldnt need to be speed limits. The reason there are speed limits is because people are not able to know everything, and on the whole don't even react well to what they DO know.

When you see a 60 zone go to a 40, you know there is a reason, and you slow down. If you don't you are a dickhead.

If you think that driving down a single lane road at 60mph is acceptable, you are a dickhead. It doesnt matter if you can see 100 miles ahead, you have no where to go.

The problem is, there are so many types of road. I would say some roads should be a 100mph when they are 60. Some 60's should be 30's. I don't think a blanket 50mph will fix the problem. The problem is incorrect categorization and a lack of categories.

The (in my opionion) correct solution is to gauge each road by its dangers.

Unfortunately, that would be very expensive.

I know for a fact country lanes are labled 60, because it's a cost saving method. Instead of going down the road, and sticking a slow, 40, 30, 50, sharp right every 50 metres, they just stick a 60 sign there, and trust you'll drive at a speed sensible for the road.

This thread is an interesting read.

I see dickheads nearly every day on the road.

Imagine there were no speed limits.

By some philosophies noted in this thread, everyone should be driving as fast as their car can go.

At the end of the day, there shouldnt need to be speed limits. The reason there are speed limits is because people are not able to know everything, and on the whole don't even react well to what they DO know.

When you see a 60 zone go to a 40, you know there is a reason, and you slow down. If you don't you are a dickhead.

If you think that driving down a single lane road at 60mph is acceptable, you are a dickhead. It doesnt matter if you can see 100 miles ahead, you have no where to go.

The problem is, there are so many types of road. I would say some roads should be a 100mph when they are 60. Some 60's should be 30's. I don't think a blanket 50mph will fix the problem. The problem is incorrect categorization and a lack of categories.

The (in my opionion) correct solution is to gauge each road by its dangers.

Unfortunately, that would be very expensive.

If it wasn't for the no swearing rules that you seem to be ignoring i would have some very choice words for someone who categorises any person doing 60 down a single lane road as a

60 can be a perfectly acceptable speed down a road like that, there are some near me where it would be dangerous because of road suface etc, some where faster would be safe, please don't sweep all drivers into one category just because you have a chip on your shoulder about anyone who drives even 2mph above the limit.

firstly I dont think dickhead is swearing. Secondly, there is no way in the world any one should be driving at 60mph down a single lane road unless the road is closed and you are part of a motorsport event. Don't confuse what I said (am saying) as a road with two lanes.

I don't have a chip on my shoulder about people driving over the limit. There are roads where I personally deem it safe to drive well over the limit. Then there are roads where I see people driving fast and know it is an accident waiting to happen.

I raced a fast merc across country a few months ago. It wasn't a race in the sense that there would be a winner... we were just driving as fast as the road allowed us to do safely. I'm a lot like Clarkson, I'm full of what ifs when I am driving.

Ok but who are you to decide what the 'safe limit' is then? I'm not saying i never exceed it, but you have just said that anyone not slowing down in a 40 is an idiot, surely when you exceed the given limit for a road you become that idiot?
I will make a video at some point of some of the single lane roads i know to show that its perfectly safe to drive at 60 on them!

I think single track and single cabbageway ( I love that) roads are getting confused here. Single track roads should be taken at slow slow speeds! Single carraigeway roads (as opposed to dual carraigeway roads) can be safely taken at speed HEAVILY dependant on circumstances.

I agree with Nex though, play nice or Mr Ed (sorry Ed couldn't resist) will close us down.

Single track roads should be taken at slow speeds!

<generally, almost all> Single track roads should be taken at slow speeds! <due to the reduced visibility (often caused by the close proximity of grasses, embankments, hedgerows, trees etc that can hide bends, junctions and oncoming vehicles, pedestrians, obstructions or wildlife...or some heart stopping-> horse crap, wet mud or loose gravel for us motorcyclists)>

remember too guys, that these types of roads are often rubbish for stopping quicly from high speeds due to the dust, mud, water or gravel on the surface....(even though you 'think' your reactions are quick enough and your brakes are ACE...the chances are: that your wheels will lock easy on this type of road and your speed will only reduce a bit....until you hit the sides... or whatever was in your way :(

in contrast (hypothetically since I cant think of anywhere like this...lol) a 6 acre terraced area with solid white kerb lines painted down either side as a single track road (may be with passing places too?...lol) would be pretty easy to see/judge if 60mph would be safe in sections....:-S

They're only doing this so they have a job at the end of it.

It's just some people in an office making themselves look busy, trying to find reasons to make themselves look like they should be in a job.. So they think of stupid stuff like this.

Back