clutch failure

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
clutch failed on me yesterday, clutch wont engage when i pull up, feels fine when i try it parked with eng off so not cable but does feel a bit lite, doesnt slip since i replaced gearbox an clutch(2nd hand)and fixed seal some months back. Was experiencing some vibration but thought this was from gear selector linkage and was going to replace/repair, but now think this may be related. Got most of the way into pulling it out yesterday avo but got dark an started to rain.

wat do u guys reckon?

edit... "if" I can get the missus to give me money, it probably would be a good time to upgrade to lite flywheel and betta clutch, any advice to where I could source these quickly, I live in the Hunter area

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
think I found my problem, not fitting another 2nd hand clutch, FALSE ECONOMY!!!.

Attachments

• 65349.jpg
    65349.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 43

CMF_Greo

» CMF Member
New clutch isnt too expensive compared to second hand, from what i remember on my last micra, its the labour that gets you.
The fly wheel wont get you a power increase but its supposed to increase responsiveness a considerable amount.

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
yea got another in me sup.s wreck, but I couldnt be ****ed pulling it out, got new clutch turning up at lunchtime.

If u look at the picture its cracked through the inner plate as well.

No rest 4 the wicked.

Missus is NOT letting me get my lite flywheel, I explained it wrong, I should have told her I needed it to get goin again. Lesson there, neva tell them the truth.

CMF_MSDVS

» CMF Member
Rudy WROTE:

Missus is NOT letting me get my lite flywheel, I explained it wrong, I should have told her I needed it to get goin again. Lesson there, neva tell them the truth.

telling them the truth could also be useful so them
They can help haha
I know I only joined this site to buy stuff for my partners Micra :)

CMF_MSDVS

» CMF Member
Rudy WROTE:

"MSDVS WROTE:

telling them the truth could also be useful so them
They can help haha
I know I only joined this site to buy stuff for my partners Micra :)"</div>

and I thought we had a girl micra enthusiast Carly, "dissapointed"

Don't get me wrong Ive completely fallen in love with the Micra, I'm trying to find one for myself haha. But at the start I only joined to buy stuff for the partner but I've got myself hooked & want one for me :)

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
frank2 WROTE:

"it broke because its a **** copy one surely ? i only ever use partworn genuine LUK ones personally :)

Exedy it is Frank I believe, looks the same as the one im putting back in new.

A lota people on this site in old threads recommend leaving the drive shafts in so I thought I would follow that advice, couldnt manhandle it back in to place so ended up having to drain oil and remove drive shafts whilst up on jack, got the box on and a couple of bolts in it and thats where i'm leavin it 2nite, got some work done on the girls car whilst waiting on clutch so i've had a big day, will finish up in the morning. Doin this job myself has just about done my head in.

got the clutch kit with bearing for $100 with flywheel machined for free, good to have a mate who owns a brake and clutch shop.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
there seems to be very varied opinions about exedy (the oz pulsar site for instance), mine slipped quite bad but the diaphram spring is 15" thou thinner than my luk ones
it looks pretty flimsy to me (compared to these)

Attachments

• 65375.jpg
    65375.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 44

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
I would say there is something else in there that caused that to happen. Mine looked very similiar and was given a hard time for a good year+ and when sold to radiolite was in great condition still.

CMF_Radiolite22

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"I would say there is something else in there that caused that to happen. Mine looked very similiar and was given a hard time for a good year+ and when sold to radiolite was in great condition still.

Yeh ur clutch is now running fine on my car on daily use. No complains ;)

CMF_Rudy

» CMF Member
sikK11 WROTE:

"I would say there is something else in there that caused that to happen. Mine looked very similiar and was given a hard time for a good year+ and when sold to radiolite was in great condition still.

My thoughts too Sik, I'm only a backyardy mech but i've looked all over, no loose bolts found or anything obvious, I'm worried about the vibration I was experiencing which was gradually getting worse, I changed gearboxes last time too, will find out today I suppose

edit... its only a std clutch, not heavy duty or anything, I'm an old bugger and I do drive a little hard but I dont drop it or do silly things and I havent had clutch probs in any other car, will take my old clutch with me on my annual deepsea fishin trip next weekend when I will see my mate(owns clutch shop) in person an see if he has any idea what happened, also I have no idea what its history is, might of overlooked obvious damage before fitting or maybe just a manufacturing defect

CMF_fred

» CMF Member
will I add this... had to drop my gearbox due to complete drive loss at 110 this week.... its a exedy clutch (was yoms' old custom fly and clutch setup)

Attachments

• 65408.jpg
    65408.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 30

CMF_sikK11

» CMF Member
Guys I would be taking them into the excedy dealers near you. That is crazy I am sure they would love to see them might get a good price on a new one also. Tell them your looking at going a different brand as that Kimd of failure is crap and see what they do.

Back